Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Get you some before they ban it like they did that black talon stuff back in the day. Of course gun guys still know you can get black talon's under a different name, but these look particularly nasty?

·
The Thread Killer
3,212 Posts
First of all, Black Talon ammunition was never banned; Winchester voluntarily withdrew it from the market due to all the negative media attention. Winchester SXT ammunition is essentially the same design.

Second, the general consensus among the firearms community is that RIP ammo is a gimmick, and it is not likely to outperform other conventional modern hollowpoint designs.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
garbage

·
Registered
141 Posts
The stuff seems to be more of a gimmick/fad than anything. It may work to a point, but has not proven to be any more affective than any of the other modern day self defense ammo on the market. Personally I'll stick to relying on Hornady Critical Duty for my self defense needs.

·
The Thread Killer
3,212 Posts
Tell that to the pumpkin.

through ribs and 12 deep into gel

Plenty of youtubes on the stuff, looks like a good round to have in your weapon when you are facing someone intent on doing you harm.

Pumpkins are not people; they're not a close analogue for human tissue. You can spend a crapload of money on that stuff if you want, but it's not going to disable an attacker any more effectively than a name-brand defensive load; if you truly believe that RIP ammo will accomplish anything more than conventional hollowpoint ammunition will, I don't think your really understand how pistol cartridges work. You can't pack a whole lot of energy into an object half the size of a AA battery, regardless of the projectile's configuration.

And God forbid you should ever actually have to shoot someone with that stuff under even the slightest questionable circumstance; you don't think an aggressive prosecutor won't try and portray you as a bloodthirsty psycho for using it? The easiest way to avoid that issue altogether is to load your pistol with whatever ammo your local law enforcement agency issues.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,680 Posts
:stupid

One of the reasons I love my old "western style" pistols, rifles and shotguns.
IF I ever end up in court trying to defend myself... regardless of the reason, I won't appear to be an aggressive gun owner. My guns will put just as good a hole in whatever I shoot as any "assault" style weapon and while I may not put as many holes in as fast... you should only need 1 bullet, maybe two per target.

A friend of mine was recently defending his assault weapons on that same point and mentioned suppression fire. I laughed, pulled up my pant leg to remind him and said "I'm a gimp, I'm not going to be running away anyhow." ;)

·
Man of endless projects
9,289 Posts
it looks kinda fragile to where it could fall apart when being chambered in something that loads aggressively. also looks like there's too much mass taken away compared to a regular hollow point. id say its a gimmick

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,979 Posts
There was a video done where a .22LR did more gel damage than those thingers.

I'll prolly get a box just because I hoard/collect ammo, but I'd never use it to carry with. One it is gimmicky, and two, it ain't .45acp.

Black Talons are nice to collect though, last box I was find and buy in .40, and I'm currently looking for 10mm.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
I don't proclaim to be a gun person by any means but those do look kinda gimmicky. The exit wound on the pumpkin looks pretty narly, but of course a human/ animal is alot tougher than a vegetable. If I were a gun owner I would worry about them wearing out the barrel or sending shrapnel every way if you hit something remotely solid. Of course like I said this is all theory to me.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Weight retention, expansion and penetration are what you want in a man-stopper. This has none of those characteristics. There is no better way to stop a threat than shot placement. Anything short of a CNS hit will not kill someone instantly

·
Registered
728 Posts
Personally, I still want a Taurus judge for self defense. At close range, a .410 self defense round will do plenty of damage. .410 rounds are a bit easier to acquire/cost a bit less. I would probably be crazy enough to try a .410 deer slug though. Hollow point slug should do quite a bit of damage. :toothless

·
Registered
725 Posts
I got a box of 45acp coming. They are not cheap I've heard.

·
Premium Member
4,779 Posts
First of all, Black Talon ammunition was never banned; Winchester voluntarily withdrew it from the market due to all the negative media attention. Winchester SXT ammunition is essentially the same design.

Second, the general consensus among the firearms community is that RIP ammo is a gimmick, and it is not likely to outperform other conventional modern hollowpoint designs.
I've heard the "inside Joke" was that SXT really meant Same Exact Thing.:thumbup

I'm happy and comfortable with plain ole fashioned Hollow Point ammo. Guess I'm just old school like that. Getting hit with 230gr moving at about 900fps 2 or 4 times is plenty to do the job on anyone and their friends they brought with them.

Then there's always extra magazines.

·
Registered
524 Posts
No pistols for me yet as I'm not old enough, but I'll keep my 12 gauge 00 buckshot. That pistol round screams gimmick.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Weight retention, expansion and penetration are what you want in a man-stopper. This has none of those characteristics. There is no better way to stop a threat than shot placement. Anything short of a CNS hit will not kill someone instantly
Yup

RIP ammo is a gimmick...

·
OMF
2,930 Posts
Me and a friend got a box of this in .45 gratis for "testing purposes" from a local shop.
Not impressed, his XD and my 1911 failed to feed (his 2 times, mine 3 times) out of 20. That is 75%, don't waste the money in my opinion.

I will stick with my Hornaday Critical Defense rounds at half the cost for EDC.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts