Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this sounds stupid but im still really upset about all this- This truck was my first love, my dad bought her new in 90 from magic ford here in Cali. She was a 5.8L two tone blue with the Midnight metallic on top and saphire on the sides, i had the wheels painted to the side trip anyways im going to post pics in a sec but the story as im told was the guy had the sun in his eyes at about 8 in the morning last wednesday and he drifted over hitting my baby about six inches or so into the rear driver side quarter shifting the whole frame, I would fix her in a heart beat but im just 19 and have no money and I know the truck will never be just right either way the bronco held up great- i totalled the saturn parked in front of me, so now you will all proud to know that all 3 cars were totalled but she pulled out of the ass of the saturn and onto the flat bed under her own power, but I must say that at 19 ive never been so heart broken, i put so many years of painstaking work and there was a whole lot of love in that truck and she was almost perfect, i never got to take her wheeling but she was almost ready to so ill post in a second

But let us all feel comfort that after the last pic.....I had the last laugh- suck on that dodge

·
Registered
812 Posts
The ION didn't seem too bad either. I've been in 3 accidents in my ion and the insurance company fixed it all 3 times. :banghead I think the bronco is definitley fixable...

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Looks worth fixing to me too... Less work than mine needs. I also see no reason why I wouldn't expect it to drive under it's own power... Was the frame really tweaked that bad? Being 19 you might not realize you should have the option of the insurance company paying you for it and then giving them a few hundred to get it back. Then you can spend the insurance money on fixing it up or you could just use it for wheeling and use the money on a commuter vehicle.

·
Premium Member
9,995 Posts
First the BKO looks really nice and doesn't look that bad so I would get it fixed......!

That's a city logo on that truck so it's on them to fix it so check with the insurance companies, City's, yours and the drivers to get an estimate at the most expensive repair shops then see what your options are but don't let them total the truck, tell them it's a classic 4x4 and can't be replaced.

If on the odd chance they give you any run around or grief, tell them your attorney is going to sue the city, the driver and your attorney has a call into that Joe Grover guy who busted those Taxi Cab's and Jiff Lubes and it will be all over the news........google Joe Grover to find out what network he's with then leave your name & number and if he calls tell him the story and ask his advice, he puts the fear of God into people.................................

The only time you might want to total a vehicle is if the insurance won't pay at all and you want to buy it back for salvage cheap and fix it yourself, but it would be listed on the title as "salvaged".

I don't think that will be the case here because I don't think the city will want the publicity of a driver who crashes into cars while on the job wasting the city's and taxpayers money........

Good Luck ~

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Take the total, then buy it back and fix it. Son, you just got the best excuse ever to learn how to do it yourself! That Bronco is definitely fixable, and worth saving. Take the bumpers off, and just wait, eventually someone on this forum will have one for sale CHEAP. Or go to the scrap yard and get Bronco or F truck bumpers there. The rear quarter can be had from a couple of sources and you will get to learn how to replace it.

You will kick yourself in the ass if you don't keep her and fix 'er.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Then only time you might want to total a vehicle is if the nsurance won't pay and you want to buy it back for salvage cheap and fix it yourself, but it would be listed on the title as "salvaged".
If they will pay for it to be fixed, definitely go that route, but if they insist on totalling it you may have to do what I posted above. My truck got totalled last year, when the insurance company called me I told them I wanted to buy it back. Not only did I NOT get a salvage title, they didn't even make me take the tags or insurance off the truck. They just cut me a check for the payoff minus the buyback amount. In the end I got my truck back, fixed it with JY parts, and had $1600 in my pocket, still insured, and no inspection since the tags never got cancelled.

Dave

·
Registered
315 Posts
Aye, do what Bigfoot says... could end up having this be a blessing... :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
I got hit by a police car and they were self insured, so take them to the bank!!! But the bronco did it's job, and thats why your still alive telling this story!!! A good bodyshop can make it straighter than than when it came out of the factory! Good luck:rockon

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
9,036 Posts
:stupidx10. Look into it more before you allow them to total it.

Normally they decide to total a vehicle when it will cost them more to fix it than they think it's worth. Not because it's beyond fixing. The same damage on a new truck will be fixed, while on an older one they'll try to total it. Their goal is to settle for as little as possible. If you want to keep it, push for it. We did that with good success on my wife's 69 351w Mustang, back when it wasn't worth much. It wasn't very difficult once they knew we wanted it back.

If you need to, have another shop take a look at it (Maybe a frame shop). With the right equipment some surprising stuff can be fixed. In the pics it doesn't look that bad.

Take a look at stan the man's Totaled? Got hit by a bus! thread. Today he's ahead in this month's Fullsize Of The Month race. You might want to ask him about it, since you're both in California, dealing with public entities & all.

Good luck, I hope it works out that you get too keep it, especially since your dad bought it new.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Wow sorry to hear. It still looks like a clean truck.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.