Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're planning a multi state vacation in July, and are debating whether or not to take the F350 with the dead tags. I can get her out of Cali legally (with a permit) but I'm wondering what may or could happen to me in the other 15 states as we're passing thru. Would the LEO's care and hassle us at every step as 'temporary tourists', or would they just not give a damn?.....

Gracias,

Ricky

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
It depends on who is on duty and what they had for breakfast, or how much dog shit they stepped in on their way to their car. Too many unknown variables, I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Expired Kali plates?

Expect to be stopped in every State!

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,598 Posts
someone forget the non-op cert.?

how the hell do you get $1700 for a registration bill?

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
It's California. Anything is possible.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
It's California. Anything is possible.
Yup. my '350 was only about 15 months expired, and it cost me $830 registration fees. oh, and they informed me that if i didn't pay them (since i legally bought it) that once it reached its maximum (whatever that is, 5 years i think) they would make me pay it (like unpaid taxes....) so i had no choice.

personally, for $1700 i'd take the risk... or tow it on a trailer. you could rent a U haul trailer or something for a lot less than 1700

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
1700 to regsiter! WTF! It costs 125 dollars here!

How people say that NJ is the worst state in the US, I dont even know... Commiefornia is the worst of the worst IMO

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd risk it. Just don't drive like an idiot.

On a side note, I paid $85 for 2 year tags on my Bronco last week.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Eh...I'd get some other wheels, or just bite the bullet and register. Sure the registration fee is high, but it beats the legal fees and time spent getting picked off by the locals in God-only-knows how many jurisdictions between your location and the destination.

I mean unless you're willing to take ALL back roads, it's just inviting a night stick into your pooper.

How people say that NJ is the worst state in the US, I dont even know...
Perhaps because you can't pump your own fuel at a gas station? :rofl:

Yeah, yeah, I'm in Michigan, 14.3% unemployment, home to the failing auto industry, yada yada....

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
That 460 isn't going to get incredible mileage on the highway. I drove my 96 250 PSD to SD and back, that was a loooong trip but the truck got great mileage, was quiet and rode great. That would be sketchy to drive it far from home with expired tabs. What about getting a temporary transport tag?

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
I dont think any of you naysayer guys have ever gotten a ticket for expired tags...it's one of the most minor tickets you can get. It's not a moving violation, and as long as you have insurance on the vehicle, it's not a safety issue, its simply a fee/paperwork issue.

I'd go for it, but if you get pulled over just be honest. Say you didn't have time to get the tags before you had to leave (It would take me a long time to save up that much money for tags, so it would be true).

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
In california they can impound the vehice if its 6 months expired. Don't know about an out of state vehicle in other states though. If so, it would ruin the trip. Also keep in mind California plates are something cops in other states like to **** with. If everyone on the highway is speeding, the california car gets stopped.

if it were me I wouldn't risk it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you are going just to Oregon, go for it. I drove around here for 2 years in a flashy car with expired personailzed CA plates. I had the current OR plates in the trunk, I just didn't want to change out my personalized plate. :p

Damn Oregon and there 6 digit plates. :-(

·
Back in Action
6,587 Posts
How people say that NJ is the worst state in the US, I dont even know... Commiefornia is the worst of the worst IMO
Have you ever been to Trenton or Newark?:goodfinge

I'd rather go to Compton and scream racial slurs in the middle of the street than walk around those cities:histerica

·
Mud God - R.I.P.
5,788 Posts
In california they can impound the vehice if its 6 months expired. Don't know about an out of state vehicle in other states though. If so, it would ruin the trip. Also keep in mind California plates are something cops in other states like to **** with. If everyone on the highway is speeding, the california car gets stopped.

if it were me I wouldn't risk it.
Same here

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
You have a couple months. Sign the title, have dad, brother or mom send in the title in their name......Then have them sign THAT title, and "sell it back to you" for $150. You pay a little bit of sales tax, but you won't pay a late fee.

Might end up cheaper than the $1700. Two title fees and $150 in sales tax. Between now and July should be plenty of time to pull it off

·
Registered
257 Posts
Have you ever been to Trenton or Newark?:goodfinge

I'd rather go to Compton and scream racial slurs in the middle of the street than walk around those cities:histerica
Really? I live in Trenton. Yeah, there is some violence but not too bad. Maybe Newark and Camden are that bad.

Anyway, thats a crazy fee for tags. I moved 4 vehicles from PA to NJ and the tags and fees total were less than 500, that also included changing my license.

·
Explorer driving
4,192 Posts
We're planning a multi state vacation in July, and are debating whether or not to take the F350 with the dead tags. I can get her out of Cali legally (with a permit) but I'm wondering what may or could happen to me in the other 15 states as we're passing thru. Would the LEO's care and hassle us at every step as 'temporary tourists', or would they just not give a damn?.....

Gracias,

Ricky
If you're coming through Missouri be prepared to get stopped. Expired plates from a state out west usually mean drug runners to the highway patrol here.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts