Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I know I posted this first one somewhere a while back...

...and according to this article...
Darpa has finally approved the contract for Boston Dynamics' LS3—which stands for Legged Squad Support System—for the US Marines. Like BigDog, it will travel autonomously for 20 miles without refueling, carrying 400 pounds of equipment for the soldiers in its squad.
Now, here's an early look at a smaller, even creepier version...

...and some new developments.

It's only a matter of time now. :tinfoil

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
Think we could get one made bigger to fit a Bronco then you'd REALLY have a rock crawler. That's pretty impressive stuff.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
:lolup

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
great something else that wont work. i cant believe the military is waisting mony on shit like this. just get a donky or a mule to do the same damn thing.
we have one of the little "eod" bot things and it never works. great for playing with like a rc car on the fob though.

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! It's so mobile and life-like!!! :rofl:

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure if I should be impressed or terrified!!

Control of precise aggressive maneuvers with an autonomous quadrotor helicopter. This is a small autonomous Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV). Demonstrations of flips, flight through windows, and quadrotor perching are shown. Work done at the GRASP Lab, University of Pennsylvania.

·
RBV Abuser, F/S user
747 Posts
I'm not sure if I should be impressed or terrified!!

Just one little thig to say about the heli........ PULL!!! :enforce

·
The Thread Killer
3,212 Posts
I believe I covered this in a previous thread...

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1228478

Rise of the Machines

When robots run amok and your toaster tries to kill you, a .30 battle rifle will be the weapon of choice. The .223 round cannot be counted on to reliably penetrate the combat chassis of a Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 Terminator, but sustained fire (especially with armor-piercing ammo) from an M1A or an FN-FAL may do the trick. An M1 Garand should prove to be a capable alternative as long as you have enough clips. Handguns will generally only be effective on very small machines such as blenders and CD players, but 12 gauge 00 buckshot should be capable of taking out any major home appliance and most push-type lawn mowers. Use slugs on riding mowers and lawn tractors.
:toothless

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Originally Posted by deadeyedick

Rise of the Machines

When robots run amok and your toaster tries to kill you, a .30 battle rifle will be the weapon of choice. The .223 round cannot be counted on to reliably penetrate the combat chassis of a Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 Terminator, but sustained fire (especially with armor-piercing ammo) from an M1A or an FN-FAL may do the trick. An M1 Garand should prove to be a capable alternative as long as you have enough clips. Handguns will generally only be effective on very small machines such as blenders and CD players, but 12 gauge 00 buckshot should be capable of taking out any major home appliance and most push-type lawn mowers. Use slugs on riding mowers and lawn tractors.

Kaczinski?

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another development... Now they're working toward swarms with a hive mind!! :shocked

The mini flying robot drones that join forces before takeoff - all without human help
By Niall Firth
Last updated at 10:57 AM on 9th June 2010

It conjures up a rather frightening vision of a future where intelligent robots work in packs without the need for human intervention.

But scientists are developing robots which can 'dock' with each other and fly together in a swarm.

Using infrared beams the drones are able to find each others' location and connect with one another using magnets, completely autonomously.

The individual vehicles - or quadrocopters - have fixed propellers that can lift them into the air, but the resulting flight is erratic and uncontrolled.

But once they are joined together these relatively simple little robots evolve into a sophisticated multi-propeller system capable of coordinated flight.

Each helicopter unit has its own motor, computer, and sensors.

As well as a mini-propellor duct system for flying they also have little wheels underneath to let them crawl around the ground and find each other.

The group is able to keep itself level by using altitude sensors in each robot which speak to each other using infrared to make sure the flight is even.

Even if one of the robots in the swarm fails, the others are able to reposition themselves to keep the aircraft flying.

The self-contained modules can join together for take-off before separating to continue on the ground

The robots exchange information and combine this with their own sensor measurements to determine how much thrust is needed for take-off.

When the flight is over, the robots are able to simply detach their magnetic docking system and separate and drop to the ground where they can drive away.

Even if the robots were attacked they are able to detach from each other and then find one another and reform on the ground.

If the array’s level flight is disturbed, each vehicle individually determines the amount of thrust required to correct for the disturbance based on its own position.

While it is only a research project at the moment the 'Distributed Flight Array' can, in theory, be scaled up to contain any number of individual robots.

The system would be extremely useful for carrying large loads that are too heavy for individual robots.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts