Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
529 Posts
oh man that frame & intake are looking sweet, its making my OCD twinge a bit thinking of what i could do to mine!! Make me not do that yet!! Lol

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
oh man that frame & intake are looking sweet, its making my OCD twinge a bit thinking of what i could do to mine!! Make me not do that yet!! Lol
You don't know how bad i want to go deeper with this, but its a slippery slope! Im trying to keep it in my head that this is going to be driven regularly! I plan on putting new ball joints and springs and shocks, so I'll paint that side of things when i have all that out of the way, i just wanted to make sure i got everything the engine would be covering painted before i put it back in. I also need to paint my firewall Shadow Blue Metallic...

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
529 Posts
I fall for this trap every single time....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I just pulled the trigger and ordered some new front springs (Moog factory replacements) and a set of shocks (KYB) to go all the way around. I was contemplating changing out the ball joints, but they still feel really good, i can't get any wiggle out of them and the rubber boots are still soft and don't turn my fingers black when i rub them so instead of replacing them with some chinese aftermarket stuff, ill leave the OEM in there for the time being. Same goes for the steering linkages, they are still in very tidy shape, this bronco had an easy life from what all i can tell.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)

Finally got to get out and do some more work. I did some more cleaning and painting on the frame and sliding on down the slippery slope. The rotors were grooved pretty good and the pads were about 70% gone and the hoses are dry rotted, so I pulled the hubs and rotors. The bearings look good, gonna put some new seals on and re pack the bearings and go back with some new rotors, pads, and hoses.
I also put the new shocks and springs on (well at least one side). These new shocks don’t seem to have as much travel as the old ones, but KYB lists these for this application, was it normal for a shock to be the limiting factor on the suspension? If so that’s fine I guess, I don’t plan on rawhiding this thing and not running any lift, BUT that may be why my shocks are like this, these new springs are about 1/2” taller than the others even though they are Moog factory replacements, but that may be why these shocks seem short because the new spring is “fresher” if that makes sense.

Also I got my transmission back from the rebuilder the other day, looks good, they said it was definitely in need, some of the doo hickeys were stuck and needed some honing...I don’t know auto transmissions, just excited to get it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Oh yeah one more thing, I’ve decided to forgo the new engine for now. I had to make an unexpected purchase that dipped into my Bronco budget, so I’m just going to freshen up what I got and go back together. My uncle is trying to get me to buy some oversize rings and file fit them and hone the bores but I’m not sure I wanna go through all that. I’ll just run it like it is and put a new engine in it later. That’s my plan this week anyway.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #69

Got the new seals, brakes, rotors, pads, hoses, and all that good stuff installed. Was a busy Sunday afternoon in the shop.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Its looking really good!! Its tough not to dig in too far, but as long as you got the motor out, get it cleaned up, oil leaks sealed, you'll enjoy it much more, then when you do pull it eventually, it will be a clean job, so that's a plus!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Its looking really good!! Its tough not to dig in too far, but as long as you got the motor out, get it cleaned up, oil leaks sealed, you'll enjoy it much more, then when you do pull it eventually, it will be a clean job, so that's a plus!
Yeah, I agree, I use an airbrush instead of a spray can, it’s a lot cheaper and I can use very little thinner, the paint comes out nice and thick and there’s not a lot of overspray to deal with. Also it cures faster. Since it’s a satin it also blends good so I can do this in “pieces” as I work my way from the front to the rear and if I mess up I can fix that spot fairly quickly since it cures fast.
I highly recommend investing in an airbrush.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Oh I've never considered an airbrush before & with all the touch up's of little spots that I inevitably have to do on chasis frame & driveshafts, I really could use something like that. I'm usually masking everything. My OCD is bad! Lol My Bronco is gonna be my test bed for painting things. I was just touching up half shafts this weekend from assembly "nicks"

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Well a can of quality spray paint is 8 bucks. A quart of quality enamel is 10 bucks, and I can paint about 10x the area with my airbrush out of that quart.
Spend the money and get a good double action airbrush that is siphon feed with a large bottle. I have a Pasche and a 3 oz bottle and it’s perfect.
Vette looks nice, I like the details. I’m not going nuts with my bronco frame, I’m not peeling the undercoating off or anything just cleaning it up and as my uncle said “don’t paint no dirt”

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yeah on my list, airbrush gun!! When I did my Bronco's front springs this summer, I spray bombed everything black, looks great for what it is. Those front springs must have been really shot, cuz they raised my front end 1 1/2".

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Oh I've never considered an airbrush before & with all the touch up's of little spots that I inevitably have to do on chasis frame & driveshafts, I really could use something like that. I'm usually masking everything. My OCD is bad! Lol My Bronco is gonna be my test bed for painting things. I was just touching up half shafts this weekend from assembly "nicks"
View attachment 171063
Rob, what vehicle is this a picture of?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Not to highjack, but thats my 64 Corvette, which is in the way of me redoing my Bronco. I have a pic of it in my build thread.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Been a month and honestly haven’t gotten much done. I started to hone my cylinders only to realize the ridge is a little more pronounced than I had thought, so I had to buy a ridge reamer, got 6 of the 8 cylinders done. Might can get the last two done tonight then this weekend maybe I can get my rotating assembly out back together. Wish I had more to report. Likely won’t get what I want to get done this weekend as I’ll likely be un-decorating the house and putting new struts on the front of my wife’s Yukon. Bronco just has to be patient for bowls

·
Registered
529 Posts
See why a $1200, 1 year warranty, crate longblock 302 from Orieleys make things so simple. Rebuilding stuff is a pain in the ass!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
See why a $1200, 1 year warranty, crate longblock 302 from Orieleys make things so simple. Rebuilding stuff is a pain in the ass!!
I’m stubborn and cheap.

Also I had to spend my new engine budget on a dang deer stand for Mrs. robbz28. Which one deer has been killed so that meat came out to 67 dollars a lb so far....oh well happy wife happy life.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I’m stubborn and cheap.

Also I had to spend my new engine budget on a dang deer stand for Mrs. robbz28. Which one deer has been killed so that meat came out to 67 dollars a lb so far....oh well happy wife happy life.

I have terrible luck with my hunting, I think last time I ran the numbers, all of the deer I've killed (a grand whole single tiny doe), comes out to about $125/lb of meat. thats in years of hunting, a few years of having my own lease, or trips to other folks land to go hunt, etc. this year only made one trip to a coworkers land, 4 of us went. spent 150 on my 3 day liscense, gas, rounds, beer, food, totalled about 350 bucks. didn't see crap. none of us. day after we left his da' killed a 10 point.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts