Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Wow, that looks great!
Thanks, i also cleaned up the throttle body, throttle cable bracket, pulleys, and some of the egr stuff and painted them today as well. Getting some of the little nit picky stuff done so my dirty pile of parts will be a clean pile of parts.

I also did some more cowl work, i think my POR putty and POR patch solution is going to work...for how long i guess well see, but im putting it in there thick and that stuff gets hard as a rock!

I ordered some parts this weekend:
JBA shorty headers, stainless
Flowmaster ypipe and cat
EV6 4 hole injectors
Injector repair harness (a rat got a hold of one of the wires, also half of them busted to pieces when i was removing them)

I ran out of POR putty when i got about 3/4 of the way finished with the cowl, so i had to order some more and waiting on that. So maybe next weekend i can get that job finished and put some paint on my firewall and door jambs and put my engine back in.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
684 Posts
Its gonna be like Christmas when all that exhaust arrives!! I can't wait to see how you like the new exhaust sound!

I'm still not to the point of looking at my cowl, & it still scares me thinking about what I'm gonna find.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
May not be bad...there was an 80 model F150 down the road that was never garaged and sat under a tree unmoved for the past 10 years. The cowl was full of leaves and junk but it all cleaned up like new...told my friend who got it he was lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
684 Posts
We will see, got a bit more till.my fenders & hood come off, but I did pick up an 87-91 cowl cover with the little holes. I got a 92-96 !t first, only to discover it didn't have the same hood feature lines in it, so it wouldn't match the body lines of the hood. Oh well, it was only $10 at the junk yard, it became parts of my wheel wells! :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·

So I got bored today, but not bored enough to paint the other letters...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I have decided to forgo the serpentine setup, just too many little nitpicky things it "effects" like ac hoses, compressor, etc so Im gonna stick with the old v belts. HOWEVER, i am going to try something and i hope i am not wasting 40 bucks. I purchased a 3G alternator (used the sticky to find the correct one, i believe i got one for a 94 mustang 3.8l). It is clocked the same as my current alternator. I am completely doing away with the smog pump and i don't want that big heavy honking cast iron bracket that holds both the pump and the alternator, so i scavaged ebay and found an alternator mount that looks like it will keep the alternator in the same location, the only worry i have is the depth away from the block, hopefully it lines up with one of the 2 grooves on my alternator pulley.
Fingers crossed those items come in before this weekend and i can test fit them on the engine before I put it back in the bronco. If it works out ill post some pictures and maybe that will help some others out.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·

Here is a pic of the epoxy putty that I covered the rust with, it’s ugly but I believe it’s going to work fine. I am covering this up with POR Patch, it’s like POR15 in a toothpaste tube and about as this, I just put on a rubber glove and squeeze a glob of it on and smear it all over. If you look at the back of the picture you can see where I have already put some of it over the hardened putty.

I also did some repairs on the injection harness, replaced a pigtail a mouse chewed off.

Also got my new 3g alternator in, but the pulley didn’t quite fit, I had to machine just a hair off the back side of the pulley and then I shaved just the slightest amount of the casing off with a sandpaper wheel to make sure I had adequate clearance. Still waiting on my alternator bracket, was hoping it would have been in today...oh well.

Aaaaaand finally, I reached a milestone, I got the brakes bled and the front wheel back on and the front end back on the ground. Time to move my way toward the rear. Fortunately I don’t see anything that needs fixing, just clean and paint, however I am considering replacing the leaf springs so I don’t have squat butt ride with the new front springs. Also I like the way new springs are nice and quiet...we’ll see.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·

Got the firewall painted, as best I can anyway without pulling it completely apart, lots of blue tape and aluminum foil.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Yup that’s good old shadow blue metallic, going to keep it factory

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
It depends on what you want to do, since I decided to keep it two toned I figured the original paint would be easiest and help resale for those originalists out there, plus it looks good.

But if I was going solid color I would put the XLT trim to break it up some.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yeah I think I'm leaning that factory way too, but we will see. I got a little time yet. I'll do my best, then it goes to my buddys custom shop, & I'm spending a week there & I have 2 of his guys for the week of blocking sanding, then painting. So I'll learn a bit & that should help make all my hack work look good if I ever get done welding everything back together.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
My next steps are to remove the doors and get the Jambs ready and painted and the backside of the doors and the underside of the hood and back of fenders. Then maybe I can get it to a body shop so they can straighten out the dings and paint the rest of it.

Also going to clean and paint the frame so I can get the engine and transmission back in and running again.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·

Looks like this is going to work for me, it’s not exactly a bolt on part, it’s needed some love from the sandpaper wheel and going to take a trip to the bolt bin to get the right fasteners but for 30 bucks I ain’t gonna complain. No more ugly smog pump!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·

Just making sure everything fits before sticking it all back in....what a big ass bracket!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 · (Edited)
I've never seen the a/c bracket in its entirety like that, and yes, it's huuuuugeeee!! It is cool seeing the same truck as mine being redone.
I know, i visit your thread often as well for anything i may run across. It's amazing that bracket, you just don't really "see" it when its down in the engine compartment, after you put all the hoses, and fan shroud, and wires back in place, and that huge upper plenum it just all balances out i guess.
Also, that alternator bracket has been a real PITA! As mentioned before, its more of a suggestion of where it goes. Id guess fitting a normal Gen 2 alternator might be ok, but a Gen 3 seems to have a little fatter case on it. Also the bolt used off the water pump is the one right behind the water pump pulley, i was all happy with how it was mounted, then tried to put my pulley on the water pump and it was hitting the bracket, so i had to do more cutting on the spacers and go buy shorter bolts. Now i have JUST enough clearance, you can barely slip a cigarette paper between it and the back of the WP pulley...but i think its going to work.

101 - 120 of 121 Posts