Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

121 - 140 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 · (Edited)
Cleaned and painted some more odds and ends, gave the driveshafts, skid plates, and cross members all a nice coat of John Deere medium gloss black. I didn’t get too carried away with the prep on these items, didn’t care if they were “slick” just made sure the grease and dirt was all off of them and all the flaking paint was off. Protection over pretty on the underside.

Also I am having fits getting my power steering pulley back on. I have the tool to “press” it on but I have broken the bolt that threads up inside the shaft. Guess I need to run som Emory over the shaft first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·

Here’s my odds and ends I painted the other day, they’ll look nice under there. I got all new u joints I may get to install tomorrow.
I finally got my pulley installed on the new PS pump, it took some Emory cloth and a new pull bolt but I finally got it all the way on there.
I am cooking for a bunch of mother’s tomorrow so probably won’t get to do a whole lot this weekend, but I’d really like to get the backsides of my fenders painted so I can get them back on once I put the engine back in, which shouldn’t take very long since there’s no front clip on right now.
I have decided to install the engine and trans together then bolt the transfer case on afterward. I pulled it all out together and it was a job by myself! A lot of wiggling and using blocks and multiple jacks etc.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Sooo I just discovered something interesting. And it may be helpful to some others out there. Seems like bullnose power window and power lock bezels are nearly impossible to find and when they show up on eBay they are crazy expensive. My passenger side window switch bezel is missing and I have been trying to find one for a couple months, found a nice one on eBay but they want 90 bucks for the bezel and switch!
So, I got to looking and GM switches are about the same size. I am electronic savvy enough to possibly make this work, but I was fortunate enough to find another who had this same idea, and guess what...the wiring is the same. So, I got on Amazon and got me a 9 dollar switch and gonna give it a shot. No it’s not factory original, but it fits and whoever don’t know any better won’t know the difference.
Also, a side note, he did the power lock switches too and they worked...but My lock switches are in good shape.
I’ll post pics when I get it done.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 · (Edited)
Welp, last week I ordered me some red line wheel trim rings off eBay, then I read the description that the photos are mere representations of the part and the part you may receive may be in various “usable” condition...That was at the bottom
Of their long description of their place of business yadda yadda yadda...

So they shipped fast and I just say that I was pleasantly surprised with 2 of the trim rings, one is nearly perfect with just a couple of waves in the outer edge and the other has one nick in the outer edge.

Now the other two were in my mind complete junk, one had bad rash all the way around the edge, deep dents and scratches but the middle section was nice.
The other had kinks in the outer and inner edge and was warped to boot.

I have not left feedback yet, I contacted the seller and am willing to keep these two if he has two other nicer ones that I’ll pay the same price for (keep these as spares). We’ll see what they say.

Moral of the story, always read the entire description on eBay

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Wow, that's as nice as the "grade A" rim I got off of ebay!! Lol
I mean they look mint condition going 60 down the road...at night

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Did a little bit of fitting this afternoon when I got home. Sat the upper intake on and modified my bracket for the headers. I also finally found the right size belt for the alternator.

·
Premium Member
5,020 Posts
Obsolete parts are almost impossible to find in perfect condition off salvage vehicles. Might be lucky to get what you have.

If the vehicle was perfect it wouldn't be salvage..right.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 · (Edited)
Well it was popular in the 80’s and 90’s to swap out for custom wheels, so as many Ford trucks and Broncos was out there I’d hope to find some in ok shape for a reasonable price...and I will, eventually

Also this place online I got these from supposedly specializes in quality classic auto parts. I just think it’s a bit misleading to put 4 pictures of nearly perfect parts on the description and that not be the part (however I admit the description did say those weren’t pics of the actual part) the picture should have “not actual photo” or something on the photo itself.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·

Well, it took all day by myself but I got the engine and trans installed today. Took a lot of trial and error on some of the fasteners and making everything work right with the headers.

Gonna try to paint the backsides of my fenders tomorrow so I can get those stuck on next weekend and get it fired back up...hopefully.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
I got the backside of my replacement drivers door and my new fenders painted today. I ran out of paint as I was putting the last coat on the passenger fender about halfway through. I’m not going to sweat it though, it’s just the backside and there’s plenty of paint on it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Fixed my half rotten battery tray, reinforced it with a small piece of angle and sprayed a couple coats of undercoating on it.

Then I got to cutting out the rusted spot on my radiator support, need to find a good piece of metal to patch this with.

Clean and ready for a patch

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
That’s a good idea, the only issue is this thing is three layers thick here. We have a pile of scrap on our farm in various thicknesses. I want a good solid thick piece here for any future battery mishaps.
That’s what happened here this was right beneath the battery.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
We had an ice storm in February, and it brought one of our big sheds down, we have a lot of bent up z purlin that would make some nice patches.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 · (Edited)
Dug in the scrap pile and found a nice piece of strap that was a little thicker than I needed but I used it anyway

The original hole was a larger oval, but looking at the mount it was only like that for adjustment purposes, so I just drilled a big 1” hole, so hopefully that will be enough

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
I need help making a decision. I need to hurry up and decide what door mirrors i am going to use. At first i was 100% for putting the aero mirrors on here and filling the bottom holes in the door and calling it a day, but the more i look at it i get more indecisive. To me there's not really anything good looking about the original swing out mirrors. If you lay them out on a table beside each other the aero mirror wins the contest every time. However, i can't decide if the aero mirror looks "right" on a bullnose. A bullnose bronco is this big, blocky truck and those mirrors seem to suit it, whereas the aero mirrors are sleek and more rounded and complement the nose of the 95ish broncos better.

Anybody see what im talking about? I welcome any feedback, suggestions.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I am going to throw another monkey in the pile.
Why not try a pair of these mounts. They are for 92-96 but will fit 80s models will slight fitting adjustment.

Add a set of these mirrors.

They will not interfere with opening the vent window.

121 - 140 of 171 Posts