Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys got a question, tried to search this but no luck, i see a lot of you guys out wheelin hard over some nasty rocks n such, did any of you ever smack your gas tank? my bronc has only leveling coils and 32s, and buddies of mine are constantly trying to get me to go offroading, but all ill do is some muddin and trail driving because of my low hanging tank. is it possible to swap in a 19 gal from a truck? they look pretty similar aside from depth of course. and by the way all of my friends have jeeps. so its not a problem for them, damn jeepers! thanx all

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
your bronco should of come stock with a gas tank skid plate.

I've hung my bronco up on that skid plate, it didn't do much for the skid plate, but it didn't break the tank.

If you don't like the stock one, beef it up.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Scrape it, beat it, slide it, it definatly should not prevent you from wheelin. Ford knew it was hangin low so they built a pretty stout skid plate.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I wouldn't downgrade the tank size. With the fuel mileage of these trucks, 19 gallons would be gone in no time. Wouldn't be hard to beef up the tank support. You could probably get someone to bend a thicker piece of sheet metal to the same specs. A couple of friends to help you put it back in place would make it easy. I've taken mine off and put it back on by myself with just a floor jack

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
It's amazing what the Bronco can take, fuel tank skid plate included

·
Registered
294 Posts
Be more worried about hanging up on your exhaust:banghead:banghead.
Wheelin is not about getting crazy and thrashin your truck, its overcoming challenges you feel comfortable with. Slow and steady have someone spot you if you need to:thumbup
Some people build theirs to thrash:rockon
or atleast push to the limits. Its what you make it:beer

I have spent most offroading just on logging trails, at Reiter and Tahuya. Nothing too crazy:goodfinge

Enjoy it for what it is, whatever you make it:thumbup

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,676 Posts
Theyll take a decent amount of abuse :toothless

The corners are the weak spot. Leonard has put i think 3 tanks in his bronco now cuz he keeps hitting the corners and puncturing them.

I wouldn't downgrade the tank size. With the fuel mileage of these trucks, 19 gallons would be gone in no time.
Reptillikus put a 19 gal tank in his and it took a lot of work because, IIRC, it won't fit between the rear x-members.

Yep, it works great, but very much not a bolt-in swap.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've damaged two tanks to the point of leaking.

I was all set to go Fuel Cell until a friend gave me another idea. A rear (aux) tank from an 80's 250. I think it is 14 gal?? Fit between the frame fine, used Ford pump and sending hardware. So we tucked one up inside and my friend did an aluminum skid plate.

Again, tucked way up out of the way! I love it, and one less thing to worry about when dropping off rocks.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Good idea Shadow, but why did you make those cutouts? That weakens it near the bends.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Good idea Shadow, but why did you make those cutouts? That weakens it near the bends.
I actually went back and took out some round holes later on. It's 3/16ths diamond plate, plus the stock tin piece, more than enough for what I do. And, it started life at about 58 lbs. when I was done it was down to 32lbs of skid. If you keep just throwing mass amounts of steel plating at your rig it will be so dang heavy, and weight is not a good thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts