Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that I have my welder, bender and a few other tools it is time to start fabricating some parts for the Beater. Before I start building major safety items like bumpers and roll cages, my first project is a little less important as far as safety is concerned. While I’m mechanically inclined and have a lot of knowledge with working with vehicles I have never done any major fabrication. This is a new and fun experience for me. I have looked and read here and a lot of other places to see what others have done and try to combine the best of what’s out there as I start building my stuff.

So New Years morning I started building my sliders. I purchased 40 feet of 1.5” square .120 wall tubing at a discount from Industrial Metal Supply along with some other scraps for this project. I took a few measurements and started cutting away .I kind of liked Dustin’s sliders the best but I wanted a little more foot room to climb up into the Beater. This is what I came up with.

I then made a matching one for the other side.

After welding them together they are a perfect match.

After talking to Crawler he mentioned his full length sliders kept him from removing his front fender to replace it I decided to buy a bag of bolts to make it removable.

I capped the ends with ¼” plate to beef them up since that’s the most likely place I see them getting abused.

After some cutting and grinding (and cutting off the scary points) they are starting to look good.

Now to position the first one in place. That wood box is older than me but is used for all kinds of things.

The bubble levels are not to make sure they are level, just even. The ½” scrap pieces keep it level.

The back mount. 1/8” piece is there to keep the e-brake line from binding. (mount bracket slipped in pic. I fixed it before welding).

The front mount. A lot of fun where nothing is square.

It’s almost done but I don’t like the thought of only two bars going to the frame. It needed a little beefing up.

I am now satisfied with them. I primed and painted them gloss black. I wasn’t happy with that so I sprayed the drivers side flat black and added safety grip tape to the top. I ran out of it so I will get more tomorrow, make the passenger side match and bolt them on.

I expect final photos of them sometime this weekend.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
yeah thats the product of working byyourself. you find all kinds of creative ways to hold crap before welding.

looks good none the less. personnaly Im not a fan of all box sliders but hey thats just me. I could have bent up the tubes for you and sent you those.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The magnets hold up reasonably well. Just don't put your face directly under them. I bumped the slider once while crawling out and it came crashing down. That coulda hurt. :shocked

Thanks Dustin. I have a bender I just wanted something a little different and a little more room to get a foothold. BlancoBronco has a pair of yours so I was able to see them first hand. :thumbup

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
"HOLY FLOCK OF ANGLE MAGNETS BATMAN!!!"

:histerica :histerica too funny.

hey Beater, in your opener you mention 1.5" .2 wall, was this correct? Sorry, anal me again....I would have to check the metal place on-line, but I don't recall seeing a .2 wall....typo perhaps, missing the .120?

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
They look good. I was thinking the same thing about the "maggets" :toothless

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, yea, yea. I have three pairs of the HF magnets. I buy them when they are half price. They do come in handy.

I got the drivers side mounted. (well almost) two of the front bolts are about 1/8" from fitting in. I am too tired from drilling the first 8 holes in the frame right now to fix it so I will continue tomarrow.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Nice job. If those were mine, I would finish it off by cutting a piece of mild steel checker plate to fill in the centre section (where you step). If you really want to get fancey fill in the remaining (front and back) with aluminum checker plate, that would look really cool

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Those look really good, now go test them out

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
waltman said:
Nice job. If those were mine, I would finish it off by cutting a piece of mild steel checker plate to fill in the centre section (where you step). If you really want to get fancey fill in the remaining (front and back) with aluminum checker plate, that would look really cool
I was thinking the same thing when I saw pics of it mounted. I only own one magnet it was 7.00 and its the smallest they make :banghead it doesnt hold anything square for me but the biggest one is like 36.00 here.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shadofax said:
hey Beater, in your opener you mention 1.5" .2 wall, was this correct? Sorry, anal me again....I would have to check the metal place on-line, but I don't recall seeing a .2 wall....typo perhaps, missing the .120?

My bad. I even typed it in Word first. I blame spell check. :toothless

Edited the top post

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
waltman said:
That sounds good but in reality it would end up full of dirt and stuff and never get cleaned out. Then my bro would see the dirt and stuff and use it as an ash tray and all the other smokers on the trail would laugh then do the same. Then I would step in the Beater and wonder what that smell was as the butt that stuck to my shoe was burning another hole in my carpet. I would end up using the fire estinguisher to put it out and have to buy another one. :toothless :rofl:

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I disagree, 90beater. You know checker plate is simply a plate with a raised rough surface right? I don't think it would be hard to clean and it wont track any more dirt in your truck than the way it is now. But, it is your truck, and it does look good the way it is. Besides if you ever change your mind it can be done then.

You got me thinking of maybe taking off my nerf bars and installing something similar this spring. If I do, I'll show you exactly what I mean. :thumbup

1 - 20 of 63 Posts