Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I hope you are all doing great. I just wanted to thank Chris from Broncoair for these great rock sliders.

I got them as one of his first prototypes and they look and function great.

The install was fairly moderate. A good drill and my friends hoist made work a lot easier. Don’t forget the Budweiser...

Once we figured out which side they went on, we took off the corresponding radius arm nut and pulled the radius out of the way enough to make a drill hole. There was very little grinding I had to do and they bolted right on.

I’ve gotten many compliments and they are rock solid. Thank you Chris @broncoair for the wicked sliders!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
852 Posts
These are pretty easy to make. If they charge more than a few hundred for these, they're just milking it. That being said they look good.

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,595 Posts
These are pretty easy to make. If they charge more than a few hundred for these, they're just milking it. That being said they look good.
You are correct but you have to have the time and the ability. Not only that but I believe that these are designed to work with the Bronco Air SAS kit.
edit
It looks like I lied. They may be designed for the Bronco Air kit but this Bronco does not have that kit so I am not sure.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,904 Posts
I have a pair like Wileec has. although mine will need to be altered now because my 37" tires required some triming of the rear corner of front fender.

Cobra's setup is cool because it can be shortened with out affecting the tube.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pretty easy to make if you know how to weld and bend metal. Which for 98% of people out there either don’t know how to do it or don’t have the right equipment to do it. Chris charged a fair price and the quality is good. I like to keep the currency rolling and help out the fellow man!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine are far enough back that 37s are not an issue. Still like the overall design. I would go with Boulders if I needed new. I do not have the skills to weld up as good as his guys.
Do run 37’s with a 6” lift? I have a 4” lift and have been wondering if 37’s will fit or not. My next set of tires will be 35’s or if they fit 37’s.

·
Registered
852 Posts
$1000. I don't know if I could justify that. It seems like a solid product and everything but that's a step price. Look up his much sliders are for jeeps.

Most people can't weld. That's true. Luckily I can.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Hey all. Glad your happy with the sliders Cobra! Once again I'll defend the cost of quality custom fabrication. No offense to anyone who is not familiar with such work, but if your not familiar with true quality fabrication work, please don't guess at what these should cost. Materials alone for these sliders is probably around $250 (I don't have the numbers in front of me). The time it takes to make multiple prototypes for a direct bolt on application that actually works, is very intensive. But I won't even go into that. The time it takes to bend the tube, cut the tube, weld it all together, verify it's welded properly for a BOLT ON fit etc. is very time sensitive. Probably to the tune of 6-8 hours. Then there is the space, tools and equipment needed to run such an operation. Of course there is labor to pay for and bills to pay. So at the end of the day, our cost to build a set of these (which doesn't account for the dozens of hours of prototypes, testing, CAD work and overhead), is probably around $700. Add in all the money put up for upfront design cost and we probably break even at around $900. It takes an hour to properly crate/package these up, which isn't billed for. Sooo, I know they are expensive. No question. But if we are going to stay in business we need to make more than $100 on a product like this. So you get to $1K pretty quick. Sure you can build it yourself if you have a welder and tube bender and know how to use them. But you'll spend 20hours AT LEAST building a proper bolt on slider. At the end of the day when you consider everything $1K is not much. Although I get it, it is just a bunch of metal that is getting smashed against rocks.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hey all. Glad your happy with the sliders Cobra! Once again I'll defend the cost of quality custom fabrication. No offense to anyone who is not familiar with such work, but if your not familiar with true quality fabrication work, please don't guess at what these should cost. Materials alone for these sliders is probably around $250 (I don't have the numbers in front of me). The time it takes to make multiple prototypes for a direct bolt on application that actually works, is very intensive. But I won't even go into that. The time it takes to bend the tube, cut the tube, weld it all together, verify it's welded properly for a BOLT ON fit etc. is very time sensitive. Probably to the tune of 6-8 hours. Then there is the space, tools and equipment needed to run such an operation. Of course there is labor to pay for and bills to pay. So at the end of the day, our cost to build a set of these (which doesn't account for the dozens of hours of prototypes, testing, CAD work and overhead), is probably around $700. Add in all the money put up for upfront design cost and we probably break even at around $900. It takes an hour to properly crate/package these up, which isn't billed for. Sooo, I know they are expensive. No question. But if we are going to stay in business we need to make more than $100 on a product like this. So you get to $1K pretty quick. Sure you can build it yourself if you have a welder and tube bender and know how to use them. But you'll spend 20hours AT LEAST building a proper bolt on slider. At the end of the day when you consider everything $1K is not much. Although I get it, it is just a bunch of metal that is getting smashed against rocks.
You should find a way to mount steps to these that can come off with a few bolts.

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,595 Posts
Hefty had a receiver hitch he welded on to the back side that you could hang a step from. You just needed to crawl under to pull the pin. I have thought about this upgrade on mine for my short wife. But she would still need a stool for the trail so kind of worthless.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Yeah. Not crazy about having to slide in a step, especially from the back side. Plus you would have to keep those steps in your truck I guess. We have a concept for a drop down step but haven't been able to focus on it to work out the details. And, cost is always a concern. Doing an automatic drop down (and retractable) step would add at least $1K. But we are looking into doing one that can be manually dropped and then put back up.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yeah. Not crazy about having to slide in a step, especially from the back side. Plus you would have to keep those steps in your truck I guess. We have a concept for a drop down step but haven't been able to focus on it to work out the details. And, cost is always a concern. Doing an automatic drop down (and retractable) step would add at least $1K. But we are looking into doing one that can be manually dropped and then put back up.
I might be one of the few who is extremely interested in the steps to be honest. I want something that can tuck away or detach when going off road. I dont like most electric steps because they mount to the body. A manual retractable step would interesting. Duff tuff makes some like that but they are absolutely hideous imo.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Yeah, no offense to Duff, but I don't really like them either. Although ours will be similar. But ours will tuck under farther so they don't get caught on rocks. They will also rotate down farther (about 12") to allow for a better step that's closer to the ground. We are trying to design them to be manual with the option to add an automatic feature (when door opens/closes).

Back to the question of cost. Note that Duff charges around $750. But the actual sliders are not as strong as ours (tubes are only .125" wall and mounts to the frame have no gusseting). They are also a VERY basic one piece design. There's nothing wrong with this (although it doesn't give the amount of body protection I would want). But it shows that even to design and fabricate a VERY basic slider and make a couple bucks, they just get expensive.
Ours have considerably more detail, design features and strength (.25" wall on all pieces and better frame mounts/gusseting). Ours also fit extended radius arm TTB suspensions (Duffs doesn't) and ours have (will have) provisions for the e-brake cable. So one can see how the cost of such a product can easily exceed $1K. Not only is the fabrication part expensive, but the time to do a detailed and well thought out design also needs to be compensated for.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts