Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,962 Posts
I might be one of the few who is extremely interested in the steps to be honest. I want something that can tuck away or detach when going off road. I dont like most electric steps because they mount to the body. A manual retractable step would interesting. Duff tuff makes some like that but they are absolutely hideous imo.
i built a set for mine, with removable steps. Would be easy to adapt it to other's sliders pretty easily.

rock sliders!

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,595 Posts
I like the idea of Duffs. I was looking at them at the Bronco celebration. The mechanics look good but like Chris said they are not enough. And even then you still have to get under to pull the pin that holds them in place, or to set the pin when putting them up. I have thought about trying to design something to add to mine but this works well for my wife.
step.jpg
step2.jpg

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yeah. Not crazy about having to slide in a step, especially from the back side. Plus you would have to keep those steps in your truck I guess. We have a concept for a drop down step but haven't been able to focus on it to work out the details. And, cost is always a concern. Doing an automatic drop down (and retractable) step would add at least $1K. But we are looking into doing one that can be manually dropped and then put back up.
Were you ever able to come up with one that had a step?

·
Registered
95 XL with EFI 5.8 (Automatic)
53 Posts
Hey all. Glad your happy with the sliders Cobra! Once again I'll defend the cost of quality custom fabrication. No offense to anyone who is not familiar with such work, but if your not familiar with true quality fabrication work, please don't guess at what these should cost. Materials alone for these sliders is probably around $250 (I don't have the numbers in front of me). The time it takes to make multiple prototypes for a direct bolt on application that actually works, is very intensive. But I won't even go into that. The time it takes to bend the tube, cut the tube, weld it all together, verify it's welded properly for a BOLT ON fit etc. is very time sensitive. Probably to the tune of 6-8 hours. Then there is the space, tools and equipment needed to run such an operation. Of course there is labor to pay for and bills to pay. So at the end of the day, our cost to build a set of these (which doesn't account for the dozens of hours of prototypes, testing, CAD work and overhead), is probably around $700. Add in all the money put up for upfront design cost and we probably break even at around $900. It takes an hour to properly crate/package these up, which isn't billed for. Sooo, I know they are expensive. No question. But if we are going to stay in business we need to make more than $100 on a product like this. So you get to $1K pretty quick. Sure you can build it yourself if you have a welder and tube bender and know how to use them. But you'll spend 20hours AT LEAST building a proper bolt on slider. At the end of the day when you consider everything $1K is not much. Although I get it, it is just a bunch of metal that is getting smashed against rocks.
ANy updates on availability? Realy looking forward to these!

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
ANy updates on availability? Realy looking forward to these!
We are currently selling "prototype" versions. But the FINAL version is not yet complete. We haven't figured out a good way to deal with the E-brake cable. It's been put on the back burner but will get back to that last piece of the puzzle in the coming weeks. Otherwise, the design is done and like I said, they are available (you'll just have to figure out something for the E-brake cable). Introductory price right now is $1050. Cheap powder coating can be done for $200 or our 4 Stage powder process can be done for $350. These prices will certainly go up a bit when we have the final version done.
We are also working on an automatic drop step option. But that's not going to be available any time soon.

·
Registered
95 XL with EFI 5.8 (Automatic)
53 Posts
We are currently selling "prototype" versions. But the FINAL version is not yet complete. We haven't figured out a good way to deal with the E-brake cable. It's been put on the back burner but will get back to that last piece of the puzzle in the coming weeks. Otherwise, the design is done and like I said, they are available (you'll just have to figure out something for the E-brake cable). Introductory price right now is $1050. Cheap powder coating can be done for $200 or our 4 Stage powder process can be done for $350. These prices will certainly go up a bit when we have the final version done.
We are also working on an automatic drop step option. But that's not going to be available any time soon.
what exactly about the brake cable is the issue if I may ask?

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,595 Posts
what exactly about the brake cable is the issue if I may ask?
Go back and look at the OP. You can see some of the cable issues that they worked around. I know Chris would like this to be plug and play not figure it out for yourself when it comes to mounting it up.
1626871769252.png 1626871790106.png

21 - 30 of 30 Posts