Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the other day, my truck developed something between a tick and a knock. It's not high enough pitched to be a lifter...not quite the sound of a rod...and doesn't have the "rattle" sound of a loose rocker.

SO, going to pull the valve covers off and replace the pushrods,rockers,and lifters. I have to keep this as cheap as possible. Bang for the buck...what do I get and how much am I looking at?

This is a 94 with the 5.8. Thanks guys!!!!

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
why not get a cam tooo...then you can get a whole kit...are you sure it isn't an ignition prob?..checked all the plugs, wire, timing, and that stuff....just to throw an idea out there

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
In order to change the lifters the intake manifold has to be removed. If you tear the engine down far enough to change lifters, you might as well buy a new timing chain/gears and a new cam.

Rockers are cheap, $3-5 each, as are pushrods. A cam kit will run about $150, gaskets and timing chain, about $75.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya know, when I did this on my Trans Am (broken timing chain), I ended up pulling it apart for that...then in went a cam..then boom...I yanked the entire motor and dropped in a 383 and went all out.

Arghhhh...and you guys are just so egging me on! :chili:

Hopefully I can keep my senses and just drop in the pushrods/rockers/lifters (maaaaayyyybe a cam). Pulling it apart Saturday.

O/T a little...anyone in here ever use "SeaFoam"? Just bought some from a local guy for 8 bucks and was wondering how good of a job it does. THX!

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
srry, but once you tear in you can't keep your senses, your reasoning just keeps telling yourself you need more, i have the same probs, good luck though :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
85f150 said:
srry, but once you tear in you can't keep your senses, your reasoning just keeps telling yourself you need more, i have the same probs, good luck though :)
Ahh...more questions keep poppin in my head. Anyone run 1.6 rockers on the stock heads?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts