Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a heads up, but it appears that at least the Prime series 6.5 inch speakers from Fosgate are made over size.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GSUDFP8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They will not fit the door with out cutting the door out about 1/2 inch to clear the basket. I also planned to do the 6x9 swap in the back and cannot see any way to make them fit. I don't know if this is because these speakers are also an odd size or what. Not to mention I cannot even get the screws broke free on the speaker brackets in the back to allow me to modify them.

Mine is a custom and has the cheap fiber board side panels, thinking about cutting them to clean a 6x9 box on either side and mounting those boxes to the factory speaker bracket, Should be plenty of room to clear them.

Luckily i had also ordered 2 sets of Kenwood 6.5 for my Dakota and a set of those bolted in just in the door, I have at least two speakers for now. The Rockfords mounting ring is the same diameter as the Kenwoods outer most tab with no other mounting options. The basket and the surround of the speaker are larger than the factory hole.

Side not, if you make these fit a Cool Whip bowl fits around them perfectly and would make a great baffle.

·
Man of endless projects
9,284 Posts
the fronts are weird and don't like to fit a lot of the 6.5s. I too went Kenwood and they worked great but I had to go to an audio shop and try a few different brands before I found one that fit right.

the rear is 6x8 not 6x9.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,051 Posts
You can run adapter rings that space a 6.5 out a little and it will fit in the door hole, at least that is how my 92 is. I have had rockfords in the front doors of my bronco and thats how i did it

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
i used the JBL speakers for my bronco. awesome stuff. Door speakers fit perfect.
I did mod the rear baskets to accept 6x9's. it wasnt real easy but i did it.

First, i got some 1/4" plywood from lowes. traced out the outline of the basket on it. cut out the outside. then used the jbl speaker template to mark and cut out the inside. then i got my dremel tool and cut slices in the basket inner lip all the way around and bent them down out of the way.
Then mounted the plywood to the basket, then the speakers to the plywood. worked out perfect, no clearance issues at all. I did have to cut out the black plastic part of the side trim panels to fit the new spot for the speaker. I had to rotate it a bit to fit in place.

bad news was, after about 2 months of ear bleeding Rush and Iron Maiden, i blew the woofers in the 6x9. THey still sound great at low volume, but I am going to have to get some kind of sub to handle the lows and replace the rear 6x9's.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I can understand a need for an adapter on a performance speaker, but these are marketed as a budget minded factory replacement. Joe blow in his drive needing to replace the blown speakers in his civic won't know any better.

I couldn't remember if it was 5x7 or 6x8 for the rear. I went with the 6x9s becuase many people reported the mods needed were minimal and they are a more widely available speaker. The post I saw about 6x9 swaps must have been for a different year range or something. The more I think about just mounting the boxes to the original brackets the more I like the idea. But did anyone else have issues getting the brackets out? I tried my 3/8ths impact but couldn't find the right Phillips socket. I am about going to have to get an impact driver but I don't think there is enough support behind to do any good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts