Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Bitchin.
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone educate me on rockwells? i may go this route for my new project, but know little about them, other than the special driveline braking...

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Go search on Pirate. There are a ton of Rockwell writeups on that site. OX on this site just installed a set on a 78/79 Bronco.

It sounds like Rocks are pretty easy to install compared to other axles. They're cheap to buy, too. I hear of a lot of matched sets selling for less than a single front Dana 60. Ouverson makes a lot of aftermarket parts, including the parts to run regular 8 x 6.5 bolt pattern rims. I bet it'll be a fun swap.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Larston said:
OX on this site just installed a set on a 78/79 Bronco.
I thought that was Mogs?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
84x4bronco said:
can anyone educate me on rockwells? i may go this route for my new project, but know little about them, other than the special driveline braking...
Huh?

--- Rockwells ---
Rebuilt front axle - $2100
Rebuilt rear axle - $1600
Lockers - $1300 (Front/rear Detroit)
Brakes and brake related parts - $2000
Custom drive lines - $1000
Misc other axle options you'll want - $1000
Steering and hydro parts - $2500
Custom link suspension parts - $3000
Tires/wheels - $4500 (49's)
Other bits of crap you'll need - $1000
-----------------------------------------
$20000.00

--- 78/79 Dana 60 and 14 bolt ---
Dana 60 - $1500 (high side)
14 Bolt - $300 (high side)
Lockers - $1000 (front ARB/rear Detroit)
Rebuild parts - $3000 (with 35 spline alloy 60 shafts)
Custom drive lines - $700
Steering and hydro parts - $2000
Custom leaf suspension parts - $800
Tires/wheels - $3200 (42's)
Other bits of crap you'll need - $500
$130000.00

Here's some links
http://www.memphisequipment.com/
http://www.boyceequipment.com/
http://www.ouversonengineering.com/

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
dogonmut said:
Huh?

1600 for a front steer and rear set down here in florida, some need rebuilds. 2000 for set with no rebuild needed

·
Bitchin.
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i agree, post up! i'd drive there to pick em up. my idea is this. im just going to blow up D60 parts just like i'll blow up D44 parts currently. i'd like to stay out of the D60 now that i've thought about it, because i can see how fast the D44 got old in my bronco. I may just go 460, C6 (or 435), Doubler, Rocks, and probably some 42's for starters. im completely aware of potential costs, but you have to get started somewhere right? i already have an EFI 460 top end with harness, and im sure i can find a 460 somewhere.

it will be trail only.

i know im "talking big," but i mean it. im gonna go the andy route and learn from everyone else. i know eventually im going to break lots of 60 parts if i use one, and i can use the money that i would have spent on aftermarket shafts and whatnot on the rockwells. they already come with a pretty steep gear ratio (which will suffice for the time being) maybe i can find a good set of corporate heavies as well. im not sure yet. just toying with what i can throw under this truck.

im not going to mess around with ideas here and there this time. this is going to be my dream crawler, and im going to build it exactly how i want it to be. the platform will be a single cab, long bed 78/9 F250. im going to narrow the entire body as far as will comfortably allow, and chop the frame to single cab shortbed length. i may run leaves at first to get it functional, then i will switch to some sort of coiled setup once funds will allow.

i have about 250 bucks a week to throw at this, and i intend to do so.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
You might want to research into the strength question some more. I recall people complaining that a stock Rock isn't that much better than a built D60, and built Rocks get expensive fast. IIRC, the weak parts are the inner axles and knuckle joints.

·
Registered
606 Posts
i talked to a guy that has built 4 or 5 rockwell buggy truggy vehicles a couple weeks ago at our off road event. He said that he wouldnt waste time with a detroit in them. he was saying like there is 2 in. or so of slop in the gears stock, and once the detroit was installed it was closer to 3 inches of slop. He had them in his the first buggy he built and broke lots of shafts cause of the slop he thought. Now he said he jsut gets them as tight as possible and welds the crap out of them and hasnt had the same type of problems.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
stx4wheeler said:
i talked to a guy that has built 4 or 5 rockwell buggy truggy vehicles a couple weeks ago at our off road event. He said that he wouldnt waste time with a detroit in them. he was saying like there is 2 in. or so of slop in the gears stock, and once the detroit was installed it was closer to 3 inches of slop. He had them in his the first buggy he built and broke lots of shafts cause of the slop he thought. Now he said he jsut gets them as tight as possible and welds the crap out of them and hasnt had the same type of problems.

I know this may be a powerfully ignorant question, but where exactly does two to three inches of "slop" occur in an axle? Is this something unique to Rocks? I've set up gears before in 8.8's, D44's & D60's and I can't imagine what the hell he's talking about.:shrug

·
Bitchin.
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have educated myself all afternoon on the subject actually and i know a lot more now.. the slop in this particular axle occurs because there are more gears involved. you actually end up with a combined gear ratio of two sets of gears within the diff to get your final differential drive ratio. my plan is to weld the rear and go with a locker for the front. if i am lucky i can just swap a detroit over from the rear to the front, providing i find the right application. only reason i would choose this is because of the slight give a detroit will give me under harsh turning circumstances.

the inner shaft necks down to 1.63 inches, which is .13 inches larger in diameter than that of a 35 spline dana 60 shaft. while it isnt much bigger, as long as i make sure i go with the spicer shafts found in newer rockwells, i should be able to set up a relatively strong axle, in stock form. the way i see it, i could spend tons of money upgrading a smaller piece of hardware, or i could spend roughly the same amount and get larger stock hardware FRONT AND REAR. the tall gears right off the bat will go great with the 408 (203/205) and the power of the 460 will be ample power for turning steep gears and heavy tires and axles. i plan on running line locks with the brakes, and im going to run square driveshafts to alleviate some of the costs of construction.

the versatility is also tempting. the fact that i can go with a center, pass. side, driver side, reverse pass. side, or reverse driver side, makes me think this is the way to go, becuase i can change my plans as needed to make sure i have clearance everywhere.

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
dogonmut said:
Please post the contact info of those sources.
ocala4sale.com is where i found the front and rear set for the price i posted. chuck's trucks down in sanford has them rebuilt for a little bit more. his shop specializes in putting rocks under all sorts of trucks from nissan hardbodys to super dutys

·
Registered
727 Posts
You can get a spool for the rockwell. And you can get Detroits for less than $400 for the rockwells.

·
Registered
727 Posts
dogonmut said:
Huh?

--- Rockwells ---
Rebuilt front axle - $2100
Rebuilt rear axle - $1600
Lockers - $1300 (Front/rear Detroit)
Brakes and brake related parts - $2000
Custom drive lines - $1000
Misc other axle options you'll want - $1000
Steering and hydro parts - $2500
Custom link suspension parts - $3000
Tires/wheels - $4500 (49's)
Other bits of crap you'll need - $1000
$20000.00

here's some links
http://www.memphisequipment.com/
http://www.boyceequipment.com/
http://www.ouversonengineering.com/
I don't want to start a pissing match but i think (know) these prices are way high. How could anyone afford to do Rockwells at these prices? I paid $225 for my rear rockwell and then sold the tires and wheels for $200. For another $1000 i can put discs on both ends and rebuild it. Use a pinion brake and save $600-$800. If you've got the money there's always someone waiting to rip you off. Check these guys too www.chuckstrucks.net www.usa6x6.com

1 - 20 of 55 Posts