Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· shibby
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When fabricating mounting brackets for sandwiching rod ends, what's the proper method of attaching the brackets to the crossmember to assure you're getting the proper clamping force when tightening the bolt?

In other words, I don't want to have to rely on the brackets to deflect inwards towards the rod end to have to eliminate any wallowing in the holes.

This will be for 1-1/4" rod ends with 3/4" misalignment spacers.

· shibby
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
steveG said:
Maybe I'm dense, but I'm not sure what you're asking.
Familiar with clamping forces and the proper way to fasten?

Example- bolting tow hooks to your frame. You do not want to depend on the bolts to withstand the forces seen by jerking. You want to rely on the metal to metal clamping forces to distribute the load.

In my case, I do not want to rely on the bolt itself to locate the suspension, I want to make sure that the rod end is properly clamped in place. I'll be using 3/4" plate as my brackets and I don't want to depend on the plates to have to bend towards the rod end to clamp it in place. I'm thinking I'll bolt the plates to the rod end itself then weld the plates to my crossmember.

· shibby
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
steveG said:
Soooooo, why 3/4"? I don't want to upset anyone, but if you have to build anything out 3/4" plate to make it last, maybe you need to reconsider the design. This of course doesn't apply if you're building a backhoe or some other piece of heavy equipment.
I'll just do it then show you the finished product. I guess you're not understanding what needs to be done. It's easier to show it in pics than it is to explain it.

· shibby
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
steveG said:
I understand that, but why not just add material to reinforce the hole and use 3/16" or 1/4" plate for the main structure. As long as the joint isn't binding and everything stays tight the hole should be fine.
Because on a 1-link, it's the only mounting point that's keeping the axle under the truck other than the panhard bar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.