·
Registered
50 Posts
Double swing outs seem the way to go.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Done, except for the gas can carrier. I'll probably get around to that in the spring. I'll make a separate thread for the roof rack, when I get around to building that.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Really nice work Rodan - awesome fabrication skills!...I was just curious - would the spare tire fit the carrier if you turned it around with the rim facing inward, thinking it might sit closer to the truck.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks!

It might, but really not that big of a deal. I just figure if I go to a wider tire someday, I'll have plenty of clearance... :thumbup

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
...Swingouts are boxed in, and I added delrin pads, on which the carrier arms ride when closed, to eliminate clanks, clunks and other unpleasant noises; and to provide a solid base for the toggle clamps to secure against:

Great idea on the delrin pads. The more stress you can take off the pivots, the better. The pivots tend to suffer from metal fatigue right at the step where they're turned down for the bearings.

Looks clean and nicely done!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks really good. I kind of regret going with a full length swing out, it is so long that it is hard to unload the bed with it on. Duals would be a little more practical.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Very nice work Rodan. You did pretty much exactly what I have been thinking of doing for quite a while now.

I ordered the same spindle kit you used, but have run into a glitch. I had been thinking I would leave the plate on the bumper, but my material is only 5x3 and a license plate is 6" tall. I now want to move my plate up to the spare tire carrier, but VA requires plate lights for inspection. I think I can see a plate light up on yours. How did you get the wiring up there?

Thanks
Drooopy

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Thanks!

I just used an aftermarket plate light, and extended the stock wires, leaving some slack for the pivot, and zip tied them to the tire carrier arm. I put a couple of quick disconnects on the wires so I could unplug the wires when removing the tire.

·
Registered
144 Posts
What is the size on the rectangular stock you used for the swing arm? I am looking to find a scrap of 3 x 2 x 3/16 but not sure that will work out.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
(Mortal Kombat voice on) FINISH HIM!!!

:toothless
I know, I know... :doh0715:

I just can't bring myself to spend the $300 for the cans I want... (Scepter) Something else always moves up the priorities list, and it gets put off. Someday... ;)

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Dude, nice work! I like the latches, where did you pick those up?
Northern AZ?, Looks you might be in Cottonwood? If so, let's go wheelin sometime.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts