Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Thanks!

I'm in Prescott Valley.

Got the latches from McMaster Carr. Same one's most of the 4x4 shops sell, but better prices.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Sweet, Thanks man. If your down, after I get my SAS done lets hit some trails. Its only a 45 minute drive for me to PV. It'll be probably be July by the time I get done though.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
:popc1::whip:whip
Yeah, yeah, yeah....

I did finally get some fuel cans...

Stupid expensive, but they're what I wanted. I finally got some mad money that wasn't earmarked for other projects, so I said screw it and ordered them. Still need a water can, but those aren't as bad. I really should have spend the $$ on a new AC compressor, as it's getting hot, but what the hell... :toothless

Basic idea of how they're going to sit on the driver's side swingout (plus the water can, there's room for all three). They'll be straight, not angled as they're just hanging on a bungee in the pic.

Now don't get all excited about progress, 'cause I'm full up on shit to do 'till August. And I still need to order some 1" dies for my tubing bender to get started on this...

·
Registered
113 Posts
It looks great, lots of thought went into this project bumper. Nice job.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks, guys.

Unfortunately, I'm not getting back to work on this as quickly as expected... I did purchase a tubing roller, which I plan to use both for parts of the fuel can rack and roof rack. I posted a thread on it, as it will be getting some Swag Offroad upgrades and power conversion. I still need to buy the Swag parts, and I also need a set of 1" dies for my tubing bender.

All of that has been put on hold for a bit, as I just picked this up:

Yeah, I know.... not a Ford.

I've had two Powerstrokes, and loved them. But they're getting hard to find with a 7.3 in decent shape, so I opened the possibilities up for a Cummins. I also wanted a manual trans truck, which are rarer than chicken lips around here. This one popped up on my radar, and it was the first manual trans crew 4x4 drw I've seen at a price I could stomach. I was reluctant, as it has 200k miles, but it's the tightest, cleanest truck used truck I've ever driven. Not a squeak or rattle, steering tight as a drum. 2 owners, and 3 pages of service records on Carfax.

So, I've been sorting out the few things that you always seem to need to with a new vehicle, but that's been sucking up my mad money for the month... :toothless

I promise I'll get back to work on the Bronco eventually... :banghead

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just read your whole thread and have to say you do great work. I'll join the crew of guys watching to see this get done. I also am looking at a dual swing carrier but keep running into problems of how to make it all work together. Great to see how you worked out all ofn the problems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Rodan,

I know I'm crazy late to the party but I just stumbled across your build and love it man! Great ideas and "forward-leaning" to mitigate any future problems. I'm not sure if you've gotten around to fabricating the base for the cans since you got the 7.3 (sweet btw) but being in the Army, we have the exact same cans on the HMMWV's, Bradleys, MRAPs, etc. I'd be willing to bet that you could knock out a stable platform for your cans in a matter of a couple of hours. I think all you'd need is an old BBQ grill grate for the base and some 1-1 1/2" flat metal to make a border just to keep the cans in place. Just mount it directly to your swing arm, extended parallel, place two 45 degree pieces from the base to the vertical piece for extra support, and it probably wouldn't extend further than your spare. Then, we place a ratchet strap around them (cans) and they never move. I'm sure the bunji cord you had in the picture wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I see you have the bars on either sides of the cans, so those would make perfect mounting points for the straps. As far as limiting rattling, bumping, and irritation of the cans while driving, we would place a short, thick rubber bunji cord around the two inner-most sections of the handles. Never had a problem with how they were mounted and I can honestly say that they are able to withstand multiple IED's and other miscellaneous ordinance from any direction without fatigue.

Cheers

C.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Nope... still not done. :banghead

Thanks for the ideas. The bungee in the pic was just to hold them for the pic, but I like the idea of using a rubber bungee as a damper. What I need to get them finished is a 1" die set for my tubing bender, as I plan to finish the structure in 1" tube. I also need that to get going on the roof rack.

Other stuff keeps jumping the line, though. Recently bought a trailer for the track Miata, and I'm currently in the middle of an engine swap in that, and that's taking all my time and resources right now...

·
Registered
376 Posts
All of that has been put on hold for a bit, as I just picked this up:

Do you know if those series of cummins motors have an issue with "the pin of death" or block 54(?) cracks?

Your rear bumper is how I would like to do mine. When I saw where you put your clamps in the center without anything underneath I was going to post that you should.... and then you put up pictures of the delrin pads. Did you get that off of McMaster Carr as well?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
IIRC the dowel pin issue was only with the earlier 12V motors. I had never heard of the 'block 53' thing, but a quick google shows those blocks were produced in 1999-2001, so I'm clear of either issue.

I did get the Delrin from McMaster-Carr... love that place! :toothless

Gratuitous pics, since I'm bored...

Here's the truck with the trailer it will be pulling:

Hauling this:

I was originally looking at something which could haul either the track car or the Bronco, but an enclosed trailer capable of swallowing the Bronco, and carrying the weight was going to be more expensive than buying this and an open trailer for the Bronco. I may just end up flat towing the Bronco... not sure yet.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts