Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
i love it! I think i want to copy you 100% with the roof rack and all. i just need a tube bender. so only thing that concerns me is you flipping you 2" receiver. it is designed to hold the weight the other way. It may not be as strong that way.. I have been wondering what to do with mine since it is like yours.. maybe you could test it out with a nice heave trailer and get back to us :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
i love it! I think i want to copy you 100% with the roof rack and all. i just need a tube bender. so only thing that concerns me is you flipping you 2" receiver. it is designed to hold the weight the other way. It may not be as strong that way.. I have been wondering what to do with mine since it is like yours.. maybe you could test it out with a nice heave trailer and get back to us :)
Well, the force is in the same plane, just the opposite direction. I do understand what you're getting at, but I don't believe it would be a problem. The force is distributed across the six mounting bolts in exactly the same way. The force applied to the welds that attach the receiver to the crossbar are inverted, but I don't see how it would be weaker in that direction.

I did pull the trailer on the previous page around the block with it... :toothless

Man I wish my welds looked that good, they hold but takes a grinder to look good.
Thanks. I'm by no means an expert welder. Best advice I can give is make sure your metal is as clean as you can get it, and get the settings on the welder right, which just takes knowing your machine, and practice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
New to the site. I've had my 96 for 3 almost 4 years now and had to remove my front bumper after the previous owners bent it in. New ties rubbed so I couldn't have that!

Picked up a diamond plated bed tool box from the trash in wonderful condition and have considered using that to fab up a new front!

I started off on your thread of the front bumper, was curious and ...you did! You made a rear! ! ?

I don't have any fab experience but I have welded for three years and used to work as a machinest so I'm hoping a little bit of industrial experience helps.

Long story short you have given me purpose and inspiration that it can be done! ! ! Thank you and I hope to be able to come to you and the rest of this site for guidance! Definitely a ton of professionals here!

I'm done now... ???

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I wouldn't call myself a professional by any stretch... :toothless But thanks!

I actually built the rear first, then the front. And, as an update to the thread, 1" round tube dies for my bender should be here this week, so I hope to finish the gas can carrier later this summer.

Still haven't finished the engine swap in the '92 Miata, but I did get the tow rig, camper and trailer dialed in to haul the '13 Miata to a track event in CO in August...

Once we're back from that, it's full speed ahead on the engine swap, then I can start working on the Bronco again. 1st up is finishing the bumper, then it's roof rack time...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm going to basically be building the same bumper (hope you don't mind me copying your design) and was wondering what thickness all your metal was.
I don't want to get too heavy or too light of metal.
Thanks,
Garrick

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I'm going to basically be building the same bumper (hope you don't mind me copying your design) and was wondering what thickness all your metal was.
I don't want to get too heavy or too light of metal.
Thanks,
Garrick
As mentioned a couple of times in the thread, IIRC it's 3/16".

Just returned from 8 days in Utah hiking Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands and Arches National Parks. The camper and tow rig worked great.

I did run it across a certified scale at a truck stop... total weight 20,200lbs! :crazy

Saw some beautiful country, and had a great time.

I'm really hoping to get the Bronco up to the Moab area next year... maybe when the Phoenix guys go. Still need to beg, borrow, or buy an open trailer, as it won't fit in the enclosed trailer. Also, I think I'm going to replace the turbo on the Dodge. It pulled fine through the trip, but it doesn't spin as freely as it should, and it appears to be the original at 230k miles. I'd like to upgrade it to lower EGTs for those long grades.

First, gotta finish the engine swap in the race car. Hopefully I can squeeze in some fab time on the Bronco.

Too many projects... not enough time or $$! :banghead

·
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.
836 Posts
I recognize Bryce Canyon my old stomping grounds! My dad was the Chief Ranger there for about 10 years. Looks like you has some weather. Rare to see any water flowing in those gullies.

That's a nice looking setup- 20K lbs Holy Cow!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Bumping an old thread for some long overdue progress...

The engine swap in the race car got finished, we replaced the tow rig after the engine started going south, and I've finally gotten back to working on the Bronco.

After considerable deliberation, I've decided not to build a roof rack. I just don't think I'm going to use it enough to make it worth the effort. I did put one of the rear stanchions I built for the roof support to use when I installed my radios, though...

I wanted to use a 1/4 wave whip for my CB antenna, but needed a suitable mount, and I don't like mounting these on the body.

I started with some raw materials...

And made an antenna base...

Which mounts on the stanchion I built into the rear bumper.

More to come, as I'm planning to start on the fuel/water can carrier next...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Well, it's time for the LONG overdue fuel/water can carrier...

I had managed to get a couple of Scepter fuel cans off of eBay before they disappeared from the US market. The fuel cans then sat in a spare bedroom for the next 5 years. I recently ordered up a Scepter water can to match (which you can still get in the US), and started planning the carrier.

Today I started building. First up was removing the swingout and clamping it to the workbench for easy access. Next, I used some 2" angle to build a 'tray' to support and locate the bottom of the cans.

Next up was tubing to separate the cans laterally, contain them on the ends, and support the tray. I used 1" tubing, and broke out my JD2 Model 3 tubing bender to make the bends. The bender makes repeatable bends a piece of cake and I soon had the four supports bent.

Next was trimming and fitting the tubing to the swingout frame, and welding it all up.

Tomorrow's tasks will be to add a middle 'plank' to the try to add support for the cans, and to bend up a support on the bottom for that 'plank'. I also need to build the structure that will secure the cans to the carrier, and provide a locking system. I know what I'm going to do, but need some tubing in a size I didn't have on hand, so it will have to wait for a trip to the steel supply on Monday.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Got the middle 'plank' and lower supports fabbed up this morning.

I probably didn't need to use angle for the middle plank, but I like overkill on an off-road vehicle, and 10 gallons of fuel and 5 gallons of water will be ~100lbs bouncing around out there.

Got it all cleaned up and some primer squirted on for now.

Need to run to the steel supply in the morning for a couple things to finish it up. Hope they haven't succumbed to Coronaphobia...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
This morning I started with making a mount for my tubing notcher. I built a new workbench last year, and set it up so I can slide tool mounts in/out of the corners like a receiver hitch.

First, a mounting plate for the notcher

Next, welded that to a mounting tube for the bench

Done... it can mount on any corner of the bench, and I can rotate the orientation as necessary.

Much better than clamping it in the vise!

Tube successfully notched...

Then it was off to the steel supply to pick up some material. I made a quick stop at Harbor Freight to pick up a dremel to replace the one that died over the weekend. While there, I looked at bandsaw blades on the wall, thinking I should pick up a spare. Naahh... I'll get one next week.

Got home and started working, and of course, the bandsaw blade broke on the first cut! :mad:
Spent the rest of my available time running back to HF for a blade.... maybe I can finish this tomorrow...

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,053 Posts
That tubing notcher looks handy for getting angles right. I always struggle with that.

Careful with that HF rotary tool. I tried one once when my old Dremel was dying, and the damn thing immediately bent two shanks in a row on cut-off wheels. Trying to keep a grip on that wobble at 35k RPM to hit the power switch without getting my hands shredded was quite a challenge. I went and bought a new Dremel and will never touch one of those again. They can't all be that bad or they would never sell, but too much HF stuff is single-use at best, so I try to stay away from anything that can be dangerous if defective.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
The tubing notcher is from Eastwood, and it's awesome for fab projects involving tubing.

This isn't my first rodeo with the HF 'dremels'... they're not very good, but I usually get a year out of them. Not bad for $20. My real Dremel (rechargable - non replaceable battery) has finally died as well, so I'll probably pick up another name brand one as well.

Now that the bandsaw was back in service, I could cut the pieces for the locking bar to hold the cans in place and keep them from 'walking off'.

Once it was all welded up, it was time for paint.

Back on the truck...

Nice to finally have this finished. :cool:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
FYI, since we can edit old posts on FSB, I've started fixing some of the pics taken out by the great Photophucket fiasco a couple of years ago. Might take a couple of days to fix the whole thread, but I'll try to get at it as I have time.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Apparently you can only edit so many posts in so many days, and I hit the limit... so some of the pics are fixed, others will have to wait.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts