Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a rear cage or roll bar for my 95 bronco so I can reattach the seat belts with the top off so I can transport the kids. Does any one make a kit or is this something I need fabed up?

·
Geaux Tigers!!
2,295 Posts
Since I'm looking at a '92+ Bronco, I'm also interested in this. I definitely plan on removing the hardtop from time to time, but would like to take backseat passengers with me (not really concerned about the brake light). I thought about installing some lap belts from an older model, but am concerned for the liability of doing so. I'm thinking a well padded rear bar with shoulder harnesses may be a better way to go...

Tommy

·
Registered
12 Posts
That soft top post got me thinking about getting one but I need to add something for protection for rear passengers. I saw that 4runners have a factory bar http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/gohawks444/4runnertops007.jpg that I think has the anchors for the rear seat belts.

Has anyone tried this or has access to measure one in a 4runner? I don't know any 4runner owners and getting a local welder I can trust and not get ripped off to fab one similar has not worked out either. My thought if the ford sport bar (or smittybuilt) and this 4 runner bar could bolt in, that would be enough protection for me to go topless. Yes this is not a true roll bar cage but I think it's enough protection than nothing at all. Also this bar could be used to mount a bikini top. your thoughts?

Thanks,
Con

·
Registered
173 Posts
Dat_Bronco_Boi said:
why dont you purchase a rear seat from an earlier bronco that has lap belts, just a suggestion
heck, you don't even need the seat, just the belts. They are a direct swap w/ existing hardware. I am also looking at a rear cage for my wife's '93, not so much for the seat belt hookups, but to stretch a canvas over in the summer so the kids don't fry. I will probably end up making mine though, haven't seen much out there that I like.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm looking for the same thing so I figured I'd bring this post back to life to see if anyone found any solutions...

I was just going to swap out the back seat in my '95 for one from an older model with the connected belts, but my gal told me I need a roll bar/cage otherwise the kids can't legally ride in the back, and they are required to have sholder straps too (couldn't tell you if that is true or not, but it doesn't matter because that is what is stuck in her head)...SO, I'm looking at doing the same thing as 33boggers. Figure I can accomplish both at the same time by installing a roll cage that I can connect the current seat belts to with sholder straps.

·
Registered
173 Posts
davids78bronco said:
Dang, I gotta look into offering these, more seriously ...
I'd definately be interested, heck your close enough I could even pick it up.

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
Pick it up? You'd have to leave your truck here, so I can build it to the truck. I don't exactly have a kit for these ;) I'm being propositioned for two more, not including my own. So why not? Let's add yours, too :thumbup

·
Registered
610 Posts
**legal issues** you're truck needs to have any factory original safty equipment or better. If you're truck rolled off the factory without any seatbelts at all (way back in the day) then you dont need them, if it rolled out with lapbelts in the back, you need at least lap belts. if it came wiht shoulder belts, you need shoulder belts. As far as having "kids in the back" being illegal without the top its not, they just need to have the shoulder belts, as came on the truck orginally. Also you NEED to have the 3rd brake light because your truck came with a 3rd brakelight. Doenst say where it has to be. but you need to have one (i've seen people use the lights that go in the hitch reciever).

Now, that being said. I'd like for a police officer to actually notice that its a 92 instead of a 91 and that it should have shoulder belts and a 3rd brakelight...and then give you a ticket.

edit: also, i think the " no kids in the back without a roll cage" thing comes from kids riding in the bed of a pickup thats been fitted with seats. The fiberglass top provides virtually 0 roll over protection.you might even be safer without it as you could be lucky enough to have been thrown clear of the truck before it rolled over and squished anyone still in there seat.

·
Geaux Tigers!!
2,295 Posts
smileybry hit the nail on the head for me. I'm concerned about liability. That's why I want a rear cage for rear shoulder harnesses. Also, keep in mind you can legally carry a third person in the middle of the back seat (lapbelt) with the top off.

Tommy

·
Registered
109 Posts
smileybry said:
**legal issues** you're truck needs to have any factory original safty equipment or better. If you're truck rolled off the factory without any seatbelts at all (way back in the day) then you dont need them, if it rolled out with lapbelts in the back, you need at least lap belts. if it came wiht shoulder belts, you need shoulder belts. As far as having "kids in the back" being illegal without the top its not, they just need to have the shoulder belts, as came on the truck orginally. Also you NEED to have the 3rd brake light because your truck came with a 3rd brakelight. Doenst say where it has to be. but you need to have one (i've seen people use the lights that go in the hitch reciever).

Now, that being said. I'd like for a police officer to actually notice that its a 92 instead of a 91 and that it should have shoulder belts and a 3rd brakelight...and then give you a ticket.

edit: also, i think the " no kids in the back without a roll cage" thing comes from kids riding in the bed of a pickup thats been fitted with seats. The fiberglass top provides virtually 0 roll over protection.you might even be safer without it as you could be lucky enough to have been thrown clear of the truck before it rolled over and squished anyone still in there seat.
That is exactly my plan. I've actually already purchased the light up hitch cover for exactly that reason. Now I just need to get a roll bar that I can hook the seatbelts too. :toothless

·
Registered
610 Posts
the more i think about this, i dont think that having the shoulder belt mounted to your roll cage is going to matter because its not hooked up "oem". I would maybe check with your state police and ask them if you were to swap in the lap belts for the rear seat from the 91's, if those are legal. The reason not having the top on is a no no for 92+ is because the factory seat belts are ancored to the top. If you replace them with "OEM" replacements from another year that anchor to the floor, you might be ok. but you're kids are going to be alot safer if you A: drive EXTRA caustiously and B: have a cage and C: Wrap them in bubble wrap for the duration of the trip

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
deadrx7conv said:
For those of us with old Broncos and never remove the top, is it possible to swap in the newer Bronco rear shoulder belts?
you would have to use a newer top...iirc thats where the seat belts bolt to...hence the problem when you remove the top.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
just like red said or you would have to install a rear roll bar and weld seatbelt bungs to it. I think the roll bar mount would be better than the shell mount anyway. i looked at roll overs in the junk yards and none looked like they held the person in too well. and most shells were tornup pretty bad.
mike

1 - 20 of 71 Posts