Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Bronco XL: 5.0L M5OD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’ve been a member for a while now and am interested in installing a roll cage that protects the front and rear passengers. My truck is still virtually stock, so it may sound like an unnecessary addition, but I’ve been on trips with my Jeep friends and seen two different rollovers where we pulled the rigs back on their wheels and they continued on the trail with hardly more damage than a broken windshield. I can’t imagine one of these full size broncos fairing well in a rollover given the tiny A-pillars and fiberglass back roof. I certainly don’t intend on rolling, but who does? Can anyone suggest shops in the southwest? And do you suggest a full triangulated Cage or just a loop behind the front seats?

Thanks

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,737 Posts
If your carrying people. especially kids, I would at the least do a 4 point in the rear.
Desolate, while not inexpensive, makes a really nice rear bronco cage.
That one is likely good in high speed situations. Protofab, all4fun, etc also make some good ones that are bolt as well, though their offerings I personally feel are more for flop overs, and lower speed kind of trail use, at least as shipped.

Having a frame tied caged bronco, myself, just make sure to really decide what you want before you get started on having one made, or making it yourself. There are always several things to consider. Also keep in mind that if your street driving your Bronco, you bare head (also passenger's) can/will come in contact with the bars in a street accident.

The later broncos also actually do have a steel re-inforcement structure built into the rear topper, so they are stronger then what you may think.... Nothing wrong with wanting little extra protection though.

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Premium Member
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabber AT2s
794 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,132 Posts
Yo ragoola,
What year Bronco?
For now here are some Roll Cage:

Installation in an 82 by navynuke (Ken) @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/nukes-cage-build.184147/

Installation, S&W; Racecars 10-pt in an 84
Source: by justshootme84 (Randy Z, Casual Mudder) Rest in Peace friend

Installation, Hunter Offroad Products in an 89 5.8 (SOLD, but Brian is keeping his info available
Source: by Brian S

Installation, S&W; Racecars 10-pt in a 90
Source: by Dan90FSB (broncoboy23, Dan)

Installation, 6 point in a 95
Source: by flourman

Installation, 6 point in a 96
Source: by boss (bossind, Steve)

Mounting Points Discussion
Source: by members at FSB

●○●
Please fill out your Bronco Signature with year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual), location info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. for better responses.
From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar and then select “Account Settings” from the drop
To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Signature with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar and then select “Account Settings” from the drop down menu.

From your “Account Settings” page you will then see more navigation option of the left side. Select “Signature”.

Now you can simply enter your signature information in the text editor and click save.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Having seen a couple of All 4 Fun cages (1 in a 74 bronco and another in a 95 bronco) I wouldn’t say slow speed flop. 2”X1/8” steel cold roll DOM tubing is standard cage material used in both road corse and off road cages. The fully welded cages are very well made. I am so impressed that I am taking a trip down to their shop to have one installed in my Bronco in 2021

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
1,298 Posts
Bronco Bob(all4fun) makes good cages. I’ve never had one of his, I’ve always built my own cages, but having seen a few of them in person, they are nice quality and solid

·
Premium Member
1994 EB 351 (Sold)
276 Posts
Also, check with any racecar shops in your area. NHRA and such that are familiar with needs of a real safety cage. This may be more cost effective if your area is some distance away from Bronco specific cage builders. They can take an existing design or make one from scratch and possibly save you some coin and for a more custom product. just make sure it attaches well. Most of the desert race type cages are mounted to the frame or outriggers on the frame. This makes it rock solid but has some drawbacks. To keep the cage's "feet" from pushing through thin or somewhat rusted metal of the body another option is to anchor to reinforced metal panels sandwiching the body. This keeps the cage flex inline with the body's flex, lessens the noise, and you may not have to use solid body mounts.

The Desolate cage is amazing but high cost for install and the overall design may be overkill. I know you can not put a price on your families safety but I believe a basic well designed full cage is better than most cars on the road have today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts