Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently having my 400M rebuilt is it worth adding roller rockers .Motor build bored 30.over head shaved edelbrock performer intake edelbrock 600 carb hooker headers towing cam New pistons cast just don't know if it's worth the extra cost to out weigh the benefit. Thanks Phillip.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Rollers will help with efficiency. Normally, you can get them to have a longer stroke, which opens the valve further without binding. With headers and cam, they would help open the flow out. But, if you're not porting the heads and enlarging the valves, any difference would be nominal at best. So, basically, it depends on what you're doing to the rest of the motor to decide if they are worth it or even needed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
They will improve performance slightly. I think they slightly decrease valve train stress and wear (less friction).
I decided the added benefits were not worth the minor benefits. I was also worried about the change in valve train geometry and lengths. Just one more factor to account for during a full rebuild.
Just my thoughts.

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
Good for around 5-8 HP/3-5 Lb.-Ft. TQ (witnessed personally)

Higher ratio rockers, simply, move the fulcrum pocket for the pushrod closer to the stud roller bearing. This creates more stress on the lifter and pushrod. Over time, it can lead to pre-mature failure. Especially, with high pressure valve springs and a moderate lift/duration cam. Ford was able to get away with production 1.7 roller rockers on the 5.0 Cobra because the GT40 springs were so friggin' weak from the factory.

My $0.02,
Eric

·
Registered
835 Posts
Roller rockers are nice, and not hard to install. If set like a 302/351 at zero lash, it's pretty easy. Worth the cost? Up to you. If you ever sell it it is a nice selling point that some think have a lot of value. They do take some friction out of the equation, but oil could handle it before, no reason to think it can't now. If you do, just stay with the stock ratio.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
On a low rpm 400....there are better ways to spend your money. If it were my $$$ I would consider spending that money on a DUI HEI, hydroboost brakes, 1350 CV rear driveshaft, etc.

You already have 1.7 ratio rockers so I dunno what all the rocker ratio stuff is about???

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice the builder hasn't started on the motor yet hopefully he will start next week.I guess I will tell him to leave out the roller rockers With parts and labor I am going to have close to 2000.00 in it without the extra cost of the rockers. Thanks Phillip.

·
Registered
871 Posts
my motor is built, a 400 with a roller cam, aussie heads, edelbrock intake, headers, at speed on hte hi-way i may get to 2500 rpm at 70...remember these engines are torque monsters not hi rpm race engines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts