Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been up the west side of Rollins Pass? If not, I would highly recommend it. It's a mild 4x4 road from July to August (lol) and snowpacked the rest of the year. It was dubbed 'Corona Pass" by residents and workers because of its location "On Top of the World". On a clear day, you can see the eastern CO prairie, or turn around to the west and see a 1000 mountains.

Those looking for an easy, peaceful trail ride would really enjoy it. The road follows what was once a wagon road, then a train path. The road is one way in, one way out, and 14 miles long. We managed to drive to the top in a 2015 ford ecoboost escape without any troubles. As of this time, there are still numerous small glaciers about. Just below the plateau, are four small crystal clear lakes. The Continental Divide trail runs right through the area near the hotel.

Anyone interested in railroad history will be very pleased to find much of the remnants of tressles, telegraph poles, a couple locomotives that ran off track, water towers, and all associated buildings for maintenance, living quarters, etc. The foundation of the 'world's highest hotel' still remains at about 11,700 ft.

Wildlife is abundant at lower altitudes. We saw three bull moose grazing together and some deer, along with the usual chipmunks and birds.

I've got a bunch of pictures that I'll post in the trip section. Once that post is complete, I'll put a link to it here.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 - 3 of 3 Posts