Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well had a little accident on the way home from RITS 08. Our trailer got out of control and flipped over and did some serious body damage to the bronco. The pass. side is gone, and the front end is shifted to the left.

The aftermath

I will be getting a parts bronco from Cory aka: gabronco91.

I will be pulling the interior and all of the body from my bronco here in the next few weeks. Should be alot of work but I have a bunch of other plans for when I have the body off.

A little preview of the paint scheme I'm pondering

I am trying to decide between od green and desert camo, or even solid tan. I'm leaning towards desert camo w/ just tan and brown.
to be continued...

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Robbie glad to hear you going to start getting that thing back together soon. I still haven't gotten a chance to wheel with you yet.

BTW I thought I found you good deal on 60 with 4.88's in it for 600 bucks but it was out of 99 Super Duty. Didn't think you wanted unit bearings.

Also when you decided to let that 44 go let me know. I think I found somebody that wants it.:brownbag

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
what was the story with the trailer getting out of hand? That's too bad. bronco looks still totally attached to the trailer too.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We came around the corner at the top of this huge hill and the bronco was leaning. The suspension was soft enough that the bronco was swaying back and forth. I was watching from another vehicle in front of my friend pulling the bronco.

Before it flipped the wheels were coming off the ground on each side. It first flipped onto its roof and slid for about 150 ft then flopped on its side. The roll cage held up pretty well so it didn't smash the roof all the way down, the interior is fine and it still runs, but the throttle linkage is messed up from the front clip being shifted.

The trailer was still attached the whole time, I think it kept the bronco from barrel rolling down the road. When we finally towed it home we pulled the suspension down with rachet straps front and rear as well as with the winch.

but no one was hurt and thats the most important thing.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The trailer came off the ground and hit the back of the tow rig which is when it seperated from the hitch and sent him out of control. It bent the hooks on the safety chains. The only damage is to the tailgate which can be replaced pretty easily.

I don't think swapping the bodies will be to complicated, I just have to make sure I take advantage of having the body off. Maybe I'll box the frame or something.

I don't know about color, I'll have to start a poll or something. But I like the way the tan color looks.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
That totally sucks! Like everyone else, I am glad no one was hurt. I gotta say, you are taking it all really good. I would be freaking out!

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I'm glad everyone is alright!! But man does that suck!! that was a nice looking rig! Any thoughts about making a full size buggy?? Just use the floor pans, firewall, and hood?? add some more dom and some plexiglass... Just a thought. Anyway, good luck with your new project!!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
That totally sucks! Like everyone else, I am glad no one was hurt. I gotta say, you are taking it all really good. I would be freaking out!

:stupid

I know for one, I'd be crying like a little school girl that just got her first period in class:banghead

However im glad to see you have some plans for the thing.... Good luck man!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I am really depressed about the whole thing; I am not sure how I want to build it yet, but I do know for sure that it will drive again. It will just take alot of work.

The bronco has some sentimental value and it will be even more special to me knowing that I put the body on and got it going again. the interior should be exactly the same except for a different cage, and the paint will be different.

We had to pay the tow guy 350 for pulling me over and towing me 5 mins to my friends house. He didnt tell us this until we were unloading and he threatened to re load the bronco and take it to their shop if we didn't give them 350 cash right there. The GSP gave my friend 2 tickets (too fast for condititons and failure to properly secure load or something like that) which will be another 2-300. Its highway robbery.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I like the idea, I just have to practice some to make sure it looks good. I have to decide if I want the bumpers/sliders, door handles, grill and headlight trim flat black or part of the camo. We'll see, thats what I love about the rattle can, you can always go back and change stuff.

More practice I'll have to work on the pattern.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Glad no one was hurt, sucks about the bronco, now it's time to build a serious trail rig. The camo paint looks cool.

When we finally towed it home we pulled the suspension down with rachet straps front and rear as well as with the winch.
I always tie my bronco down by the axles and the frame, the axles to keep it in place and the frame to stop the soft suspension from bouncing around going down the road.

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
We had to pay the tow guy 350 for pulling me over and towing me 5 mins to my friends house.

The GSP gave my friend 2 tickets (too fast for condititons and failure to properly secure load or something like that) which will be another 2-300. Its highway robbery.

Tow truck driver=highway rip off artist. And seeing as how he was called out by the GSP he can charge whatever the hell he wants or they just take it to impound.

Failure to secure load? What? The fawkin Bronco is still strapped up to the trailer.

I'm sure he meant the trailer ball connection. I'd take it to court and plead not guilty and tell the judge that once you got the trailer home you found an axle bearing blown out which caused the trailer to swerve.

·
Retired
16,018 Posts
Failure to secure load? What? The fawkin Bronco is still strapped up to the trailer.

I'm sure he meant the trailer ball connection. I'd take it to court and plead not guilty and tell the judge that once you got the trailer home you found an axle bearing blown out which caused the trailer to swerve.
:stupid

He maybe able to get every thing dropped. I would go to court even if I didn't have those pics just for the fact that the cops have to say "yes your honor the Bronco was still tied to the trailer". Bring all the pics to show it. The to fast thing tell him you panicked and hit the gas to try to straighten the truck out.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts