Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer Manual hubs 140k Restoration in process
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gang,

I have some significant damage to my roof from the previous owner. Does anyone know if this is a DIY job or is it better left to a body shop?

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Vehicle door
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Vehicle door

·
Registered
1982 FSB 302, c6, BW1356 manual, manual hubs, manual windows, 3.00 gears, 31x10.5 Kenda A/T
905 Posts
You could buy a stud gun and a slide hammer and have a go. I think it looks worse in the pictures than it actually is. I guess it really comes down to how much experience do you have with metal work and how nice do you want it to be when done. Can you work Bondo or lead to smooth and fill the creases that will be there when you get it straightened out? There may be cracks in the sheet metal that need welded, can you weld thin sheet metal? I think this would be about the prefect project for someone that wanted to learn some body work skills without fear of totally ruining it. Worst case scenario you try and fail. A body shop can still fix it and replacing a roof skin is replacing a roof skin regardless.

·
Super Moderator
29,132 Posts
Yo Juan,
Determine if you could repair this roof @ repairs to roof by mickaila
And if you or a friend can cut out a yard queens roof and weld it in place

·
Registered
573 Posts
I saw this one listed on CL in Mass or Conneticut or somewhere local.....I passed on it because it looks like a biotch of a job to fix
The right way to fix is remove windshield and headliner, fix, and then reinstall all that
The creases are too tight and too close to solid corners to use any sort of painless dent removal tool I think

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I count no less than 8 creases... unless you really know what you are doing with a torch, dry ice, and lead, those aren’t coming out... how’s your welding skills? Because a professional shop is going to cut the top off and either reskin it or they are going to replace the “A” and “B” pillars as well.

·
Registered
1982 Bronco XLT Lariat, 351W, C6; 1989 Bronco XLT, 302, AOD
235 Posts
That looks like something that a body shop should handle.

My 1982 Bronco has similar dents in the roof, directly over the steering wheel, but deep enough that the windshield was broken. Can't find a local body shop that is willing to tackle it. The roof skin panel is obsolete - can't find it new anywhere. You can get one from a donor vehicle and replace it that way.

There is a member here from Katy, Texas, that replaced the entire cab roof on his 1978 Bronco due to rust issues, cutting the "A" pillars, and cutting the "B" pillars at the factory seam. He has a good write-up on his restoration, which includes the cab roof replacement.

Good luck to you!

TB

·
Registered
482 Posts
That looks well beyond something you could repair with a suction cup puller. Might be able to get a full roof from a JY and have a body shop weld it on. Looks like a P.O. must have PO'ed his girlfriend.:cautious:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts