Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been throwing around the idea of installing a roof rack and thought I'd play around with Microsoft Paint on the computer in my spare time for a design. I came up with this, and decided to leave the rear open-ended so I could easily slide stuff forward and use some Mac's VersaTie track on the top Mac's VersaTie track kits, aluminum track, E track, and deck hardware to hold everything in place. It's not to scale but gives a good representation of what I'm attempting. Thoughts?
Roof Rack.png

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,903 Posts
Without at least a flat bar across the bottom of the rear, those extensions will eventually get bent... depending on the material you build the rack out of. I've never attempted one of these because I'm short but more because I'm concerned about a good seal if I run a bolt through the fiberglass topper. The more bolts through your topper (Mac's VersaTie) the more possibility of leakage.

Not saying it can't be done. Many others have but not sure how they have held up over the years and through what kind of abuse.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,146 Posts
I would at least do a hinged gate at the back. Things are much more likely to fly off the back than they are off the front, so that's the last place I would leave things "open" to chance with just bungees or tie-downs.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,006 Posts
I'm concerned about a good seal if I run a bolt through the fiberglass topper. The more bolts through your topper (Mac's VersaTie) the more possibility of leakage.
Here comes the paint man to the rescue! Use a product called "through the roof" made by sashco. It's a clear sealant meant for rooftop fixtures, leaky shingles, etc. I used it on the rear gutters on my econoline and it stopped the leaks completely.

After a year, it has turned to a tan color (I live on dusty roads). But it hasn't cracked, peeled, or shrunk anywhere.

·
35,903 Posts
As a biker, who's had more than my share of pickup truck crap flung at me on the highway... I completely agree with @fodder point. The life you save may be your own. Ask the last guy that I chased down after nearly being decapitated by un-secured cardboard box in his pickup bed.

@BigBlue 94 Good to know. Thanks bud.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,396 Posts
As a biker, who's had more than my share of pickup truck crap flung at me on the highway... I completely agree with @fodder point. The life you save may be your own. Ask the last guy that I chased down after nearly being decapitated by un-secured cardboard box in his pickup bed.

@BigBlue 94 Good to know. Thanks bud.
Beats having an ass hole in convertible in Seattle flinging a still lit cigarette butt straight up in the air causing it to go down the front of my jacket after hitting my face shield..... dumped my 650 Tempter ..... but he got arrested for assault because there was a Seattle PD two cars back in the other lane.
Edit: guess I should contribute to the actual post.... my intention is an external cage with the ability to take the top off with it in place.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Without at least a flat bar across the bottom of the rear, those extensions will eventually get bent... depending on the material you build the rack out of. I've never attempted one of these because I'm short but more because I'm concerned about a good seal if I run a bolt through the fiberglass topper. The more bolts through your topper (Mac's VersaTie) the more possibility of leakage.

Not saying it can't be done. Many others have but not sure how they have held up over the years and through what kind of abuse.
The VersaTie will be bolted to the roof rack rail, not the roof of the Bronco.

·
Registered
1994 EB 5.8 E4od with manual T case.
8 Posts
I made a roof rack out of some thin wall sqaure tubing and wire mesh. Its held to the camper shell with 6 legs, 3 on each side and 2 bolts per leg. I found squares of silicone rubber at ace hardware as well as clear silicone sealant. Hasnt leaked a drop in 2 years.
i overhu
20180211_155952.jpg
20180211_160001.jpg
ng the front for a light bar, no reflection off the hood and I can reach things in the front by standing on the door sills.

·
35,903 Posts
Well there's a blast from the past! @Msuforeman1 should get ahold of @schwim or @miesk5 and see if they can get you back into your old profile. Hope life has been good and the Bronco is still rockin.

Sorry for the hijack. Back to your regularly scheduled topper racks. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well there's a blast from the past! @Msuforeman1 should get ahold of @schwim or @miask5 and see if they can get you back into your old profile. Hope life has been good and the Bronco is still rockin.

Sorry for the hijack. Back to your regularly scheduled topper racks. ;)
Ha--Good to see you still on here BikerPepe. Unfortunately I do not have either Bronco anymore but I do have a 2005 Excursion 4x4 w/6.8L that I am about to start playing with. It was my wife's ride for the last 14 years but it is now my toy. Hopefully y'all will let me still come and hang out.

·
35,903 Posts
haha... yea, well... I stuck around when I was only driving a stupid '90 Yota pickup that ended up bursting into flames. I don't think it's a problem. At least it's a Ford. ;)
Now I'm rockin' a '95 FSB, after a short stint running @MUD E1 's old '90 5.0 FSB and selling it to get back into a 5.8. Sorry to hear about the FSB's exit but glad to hear your alive and well bud.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts