Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a roof rack with angle iron (a bedframe) and square tube. It will be about 5x6 and 1/2 feet. I/m trying to figure out the best way to mount it. The front will be on the top of the cab and the back will be on the fiberglass top. Just wondering the best/easiest/cheapest way to attach it. Preferably it will be removable and not damage the top beyond repair. Let me know what you guys have done and or what you've seen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok sorry. Forgot to mention that it is a 94 Eddie Bauer. I will primarily be using it to carry kayaks and camping gear. The angle iron was going to be the base to weld the tube on. Just because of the size of the rack i assumed i would need to attach to the steel top and the cap. However, im flexible and just want to do it the best way. If i were to mount it to the fiberglass cap, how would i do it?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Steve is right when it comes to mounting any kind of rack. Don't mount to camper and cab as they do move differently when the body twist. Nice warped cab roof or worse.

The idea of using the Explorer conversion on the camper is nice when you need a smaller cargo capabilities.

To go larger you can go with a roof rack supported from the rear bumper or from the body between the body and camper combined with a Carr brand light bar that clamps to the door opening drip rails.

With careful thought and planning it is possible to do both cargo styles.

Whatever you do keep the weight lite!! No need for steel above the camper. Aluminum is plenty strong for everything with a lot less weight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts