Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations. I have some roof rot at the rain gutter, b pillar and very top of the a pillar. I have everything appart and I have no rot on the inner skin/ shell floors or anywhere else.

Do I have a body shop repair it?

Do I go and find a donor cab and cut the roof section off and weld on to my truck?

Does anyone make the outter skin/ shell for the roof and pillars?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
23,669 Posts
Yo FirstPriority,
Ford issued this Roof & Pillar Cracks TSB 96-20-11 for 80-96; Cracks may appear on the roof panel or on the corner panel sheet metal near the end of the drip rail at the B pillar.

Look at these and determine whether you can try to diy:
Note that I used some archived URLs because current ones with https won't show the images​
How To Add Your Signature »
From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on the upward pointing arrow and then select “Account Settings” from the drop down menu.

From your “Account Settings” page you will then see more navigation option of the left side. Select “Signature”.

Now you can simply enter your signature information in the text editor and click save.

·
Super Moderator
14,481 Posts
as @miesk5 advised, any repair should include the recommended reinforcements as listed in the TSB.

I've performed this repair on my rig at least two times now and have it all documented in my supermotors from the last time. It's a bit of a chore, but If you're handy, it's something you can do relatively easily yourself.

In my opinion the cost to have a shop do this would be ridiculous and the likelihood you'd be able to find another rig of that vintage with a solid roof to use doesn't really make sense..

post up some pics of what you got then we can make a better recommendation.

·
Super Moderator
23,669 Posts
Is this kit even available anymore? I did a search and haven't been able to find it.
Yo,
Kit is no longer available.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
There is a diagram somewhere with the dimensions. Just a semi rectangular plate with holes if I recall. OP can make their own and install either welded or adhesive.

·
Super Moderator
23,669 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looks pretty straight forward. So basically you follow the instructions but make your own kit with 18 gauge steel and a a brake. Bend and test fit until you get a snug fit then epoxy.

·
Super Moderator
14,481 Posts
First time I did the repair in the late '90s, the kit was still available. Had it done by a shop and they did a s**t job..

This is what the factory kit reinforcements look like when I pulled them out..they were in rough shape but I was able to reuse 3 of them. If I recall there were a total of 4, 2 on each side.

This was the hole I had in my roof..

After cleaning up..

Made my own reinforcement from a spare fender..was a little thicker than the factory reinforcement but I figured that would hurt anything. used a pair of pliers and my bench vise to shape..just kept test fitting until I got it right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts