Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 413 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here is the truck.

CA 351M. This thing needs to be rebuilt. 193,000 miles. Tired. Valves are rattling, plugs are fouling, burning oil.

Got the truck into the garage last night. Had to do something, so I went at the hood.

Thing was heavy and awkward by my self, but I wrestled it onto the back for safe keeping.

Next morning I read this. Well now ya tell me!

This is my crew.

Got the bumper and grille off.

Oil cooler is toast.

The fenders weren't too bad.

The front bottom bolt was rusted pretty good. I thought the retainer nut was going to can opener my fender.

Battery tray is gone.

Other than that, everything looks to be in pretty good shape. I am struggling to get the radiator clip off because the bolt that runs up through both of the frame bushings is completely seized. Might just have to get the sawzall out tomorrow. Breaker bar about broke me.

There is still time to chime in on what I should do to this thing. I have a thread in the tech section called "Motor Rebuild Advice.". I have been getting some real good input. Probably going to make it a 400. I need to get it apart and see how much work is needed.

Wish me luck! :shrug

·
OMF
2,976 Posts
Nice looking truck, love the yellow, I have been tossing around the idea of painting mine yellow.

Good luck with the build, any mods planned?

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
Nice pics, cute kids, great color! lol

I'll be following your build. Mine is the same yellow - I think. Mine is stock 78 Bright Yellow although your's looks brighter than mine! But mine just may be faded. What color is your interior? Anyway, good luck with the engine build. I think you'll be glad you decided to go 400.

·
Registered
538 Posts
You can do a 400 swap cheaper than what Tmeyer quoted for parts, You can get a crank from auto zone for about 200 bucks that includes new main and rod bearings. Pistons for slightly less depending on how much they bore the block. Having the new pistons pressed on to the old rods will prolly run you about 8 to 15 bucks each. That's pretty much all you need.

I'm not trying to say anything about Tmeyer because from the dealings i have had with him he seems like a great guy who sells good stuff but for 1300 bucks your getting new rods, new ARP bolts, new pistons with pins and the whole assembly balanced which is great if you have the cash.

One thing i would suggest if you go with a crank from Auto Zone or Orielly's or anywhere else is to make sure you plastiguage ALLof the bearings just to be sure they gave you the right ones. Nice Truck !

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

My helper labeled the anti-freeze jug for me.

Big ol' breaker bar.....

....and a second set of hands.

Here is the inside Scoop. Not much to talk about here except all the work I need to do! The yellow is not original. It was silver off of the lot. You can see it poking through in quite a few places, along with the rust.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
agreed........i can't get enough of these old fords.:thumbup
looks like that radiator is in the way of getting that bolt out, no?i'm sure you've gotten by now, but good luck and nice work.
Yeah. In my infinite wisdom I thought it would be nice to pull the radiator and oil cooler still attached to the radiator clip as one assembly. I got the nut all the way to the bottom thread, and it sits there spinning and will not come off. I am going to pull the radiator, as I should have already, and get more room to cut the damn bolt....Just need some time to do it!

DONT DO THIS! It was a bad idea because as the bolt backs away from the nut that is attached to the bushing, it starts to lift the whole clip via the vice grip. I was watching the frame and clip separate and wondering why. Released the vice grip and the whole clip slammed back down to the bushing.....oops, and duh:doh0715:

·
Registered
115 Posts
personally im not a huge yellow fan but yours looks awesome. its the perfect shade, keep up the good work!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. Not sure which yellow it is. It is bright though! Still debating whether to paint over it, but I have grown to like it.
Did some work Saturday:

I was passing an RV on a grade and put a bit to much pedal into it. When it kicked down there was a big explosion sound under the hood. Pulled over and the fan shroud was grenaded. Figure I had a broken motor mount and the motor torqued into it when it kicked down.

Turned out this motor mount bolt was loose!

You can see which blade hit the shroud.

Got the radiator out. It is in pretty good shape. Just flush it out and its probably good to go again?

This bushing had to be cut with the sawzall.

Got the radiator clip off finally.

Ready for the fun stuff.....

Found this at the pick and pull. Pretty beat down.

Gonna snag this seat because it actually better than mine. A little elbow grease and it should be good to go!

·
Registered
115 Posts
id ask to see how much they want for the black one wouldnt hurt to have a spare around

1 - 20 of 413 Posts