Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I did a search, but couldn't find what I was looking for. I plan on removing the transmission ('86 302/AOD combo) to get it rebuilt. I've never removed a tranny before, so I've been studying the Haynes Manual and researching the threads on here. The Haynes Manual says to rotate the engine by means of putting a socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt in order to get to the torque converter bolts. However, it warns not to turn the engine "backwards". I'm not sure what that means. Does that mean that I should not rotate the crankshaft the opposite way? If so, how should I rotate it - clockwise or counterclockwise? I also checked the engine chapter in the Haynes Manual, but couldn't find anything on that.

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
You're correct in your thinking... turning the engine backwards means turning it the opposite direction is was designed to run. You would rotate the engine clockwise, with a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
The crankshaft bolt tightens like a regular bolt does, righty tighty lefty loosey. Turn it in the direction so the bolt will not loosen.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a bunch for the great info, fellas.

Take care,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts