Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 bronco 5.8 , not sure of the axle size,5 lug,auto hubs
have the assembly apart , new rotor on but when reinstalling the 2nd part after outer bearing i found a half circle clip with a 90 degree tab, approx 1/4" return on it. where and when does this go in, i have a manual here but does not show this part or my version of spindle. is there a part diagram anywhere online ?
help please and thank you !

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was reassembling and it fell off of the part that goes in after the 2 washers then the toothed washer...dont knw the part names.. any idea of an online diagram for this front end ?? i have a manual thru 96 but doesnt show my parts...

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Hang on a sec, an FSB member has an excellent blow-up diagram of this setup.

I had this too at one point on my Bronco. Probably the easiest spindle nut setup ever invented, IMO.

EDIT: here we go.

[url=http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/277564][/URL]

The key is part number 11 in the first diagram. See all those little slits in the 3rd picture? That's where the little tab goes in, to keep it from turning in operation. There's a small lip the key itself sits inside when pushed into the nut all the way. You may find it very advantageous to buy and use a good set of metal picks. Don't bother with the chinese garbage they sell at autozone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome that def helps but because i didnt remove the half clip im not sure which way it goes back in...

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Do you mean part #14 or #18 in the blow-up? Or something else?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it woud be # 11 , i need to know which way the tab goes, in or out and IF anyone has ever had this setup, which size spindle nut remover do i need for tightening ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i see the previous post now... so it goes on after and points in...
NOW to find the right sized spindle tool..

many thanks !!!!

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
No problem. :thumbup

IIRC, there's only one spindle socket that works, and should be labeled for a D44 axle. It's made of sheet steel, formed into a hexagonal shape, with a 1/2-inch socket at the opposite end for receiving a torque wrench. It should be available at most auto part stores, possibly for a deposit you can get back when done.

MAKE CERTAIN you use a good torque wrench and follow those directions for torquing in that diagram!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK... got the auto locker back in, all good there but now my issue is a light klunking per revolution when braking.... any ideas what i did wrong ??
new semi met pads and new rotor... brake jobs are usually straight forward, tho never did one on this truck before.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Are the wheel studs pulled all the way into the hub? Sometimes you have to re-torque the lug nuts to get them to fully seat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes i think that is the prob, i used a cold chisel to reinstall studs but seemed they never totally seated, thought my impact would pull them the rest of the way... maybe not.

also, this s a dana 44 front end ? someone mentioned these parts are no longer available?
i sorta bent the piece in the photo and would like to replace it....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts