Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 5.0 EECIV F.I. lacks power and dies at a stop while in in drive. The timing isn't off but I recieve a code 18 on koeo. Tested almost all the ignition, Module, Stator wiring etc. Also puts out a code 41 in koer. Could these problems be related?

·
Registered
34 Posts
have you cleaned your intake?
or cleaner/ whatever. that might be it.
ah i thought you live in bloomington CA, i live like 15 mins away.
but nope... check out your injectors too
and when you have ONLY the ignition on, do you hear the fuel pump?/sending unit?
my brothers truck had this problem too and it was his fuel pump i think(sending unit was replaced too)

·
Super Moderator
25,769 Posts
yo,
DTC 18 - Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP); "...The PIP signal is just one of many of the ECA inputs. The ECA takes all the information provided by the input sensors and creates a output signal called SPOUT (spark output). The spout signifies the engine operating condition electronically and is sent back to the TFI module, see picture, for comparison with the PIP signal. The TFI module then uses both of these signals to fire the ignition coil at the proper timing intervals..." read more
Source: by Matthew W at http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1d/bl044d.htm
TSB 87-21-10 is Ford.s TFI MODULE/PIP SENSOR NEW EEC-IV TESTING
---
DTC 14 & 18; Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP) & Troubleshooting; "...The top three leads (for PIP signal) can lose continuity with the back plate (ground) on the module when the unit is hot. You should consider a remote mounted TFI. If your TFI is failing from heat, it can give off computer codes 14 (PIP) and 18 (SPOUT). stalling/dieing or sputtering when hot but runs when it cools off. This can be caused by a faulty TFI and the biggest culprits are heat. Another culprit can be a wire grounding out. Problematic TFI's can give off codes 14 (PIP) and 18 (SPOUT)..." read more
Source: by http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.html
this is for a Ranger, but similar.
-------
DTC 18 or 212; Ignition Diagnostic Monitor (IDM)
Source: by Joe D via fordfuelinjection.com

--
TFI Module Relocation & Modified Mount in an 86
Source: by broncAR (Rodolfo MArio N) at http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90265

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried known working stator and module. No luck. Also checked the air cleaner first thing, and the fuel pump comes on with the on. In the middle of checking compression now. Checked vacuum and it was real low around 5-10 lbs.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Code: 18 = SPOUT circuit open or spark angle word failure. and IDM circuit failure or SPOUT circuit grounded.

The IDM = ignition diagnostic monitor is an odd creature, located on top off the thicker part of the harness near the drivers valve cover or coil area and looks a big green eraser with this symbol on the side ....W....., I replaced mine some time ago from www.fordfuelinjection.com for around a $1.00 per, it's just a resistor that regulates voltage to the distributor etc..easy to replace but you need to solder it in the wiring AND the test procedure is in the Haynes Manual.....requires sticking pins thru the wires using a multimeter....NOT my favorite......I cut the rubber case in half to re-use to protect and indentify etc.

spOUT is another M/F return circut animal that can fail if it's old and can affect timing, there's only so many "on's" in a light bulb if you get my drift...lol lol....I got one from Steve83 who discovered the male plug is used in rear ABS systems , cost $5.00 and still using it...AND I have a weather -pak style spOUT from www.fordfuelinjection.com that's still in the packaging on the shelf in the garage JUST in case....forget how much it costs but not expensive at all....

Code: 41 = HEGO sensor circuit indicates system lean (right side) and No HEGO switching detected always lean (right side). = O2 sensor..................?

Yor're not indicating any vacuum leaks so.....................

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Super Moderator
25,769 Posts
yo,
I missed that 41 Code, thanks JK!
DTC 41, 42, 91, 92, 136, 137,139, 144, 171, 172, 175, 176, 177 & some Possible Causes for Rich & Lean HEGO
& The engine temperature must be greater than 50°F (10°C) to pass the KOEO Self-Test and greater than 180°F (82°C) to pass the KOER Self-Test. To accomplish this, the engine should be at normal operating temperature
Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at fordfuelinjection.com

All of the following items will cause a HEGO code:
"...• Check engine oil for fuel contamination.
• Check fuel pressure.
• Check fuel systems ability to hold pressure for 60 seconds.
• Engines general condition.
• Fuel injectors (leaky, stuck, dirty).
• Secondary Air Injection (AIR) system.
PCV / Hose stuck or blocked.Vacuum leaks.
• Fuel Injector O-Rings.
• CANP. Check Vac Hose there
• MAP/MAF sensor.
• Ignition Coil Failure.
• Wiring harness general condition.Ck O2 sensor's connector for corrosion, etc.
Old HEGO sensors (should be replaced every 60,000 miles)." This is usually the Frist in listing... they do tend to go bad after 60k90k miles.-
========

Vacuum Leak Test; "...On idling engine...Check for vacuum leaks using a mechanic's stethoscope with the probe removed, or a ~3' garden hose. Don't spray flammables on a running engine. Also check the brake booster, the 2ndry air (coffee can) & HVAC vacuum reservoirs around intake manifold; and maybe under dash behind control panel vac line area..." ...(combined w/ Steve83's info, thnx) BEWARE OF BELTS/PULLEYS, FAN AND HOT ENGINE
Source: by miesk5 & Steve83 at Ford Bronco Zone Forums
------
What do you mean by "Tried known working stator and module."?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts