Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1987 Bronco w/the 351w HO. I purchased it from the government with 29k original miles on it. When I first went to get it, the beast wouldn't start, replaced the computer and got her going(mouse chewed the wire). I'm thinking it sat for a while. Tires were all weather checked and had to bleed the brakes good to get them working. After getting her running she shifted real hard, I was assuming the vacuum module on the transmission. Drove it back and she still shifted hard. After replacing that I drove it a couple times and seems okay. But the truck also seemed to shift decent when warm, vehicle seems to drive fine at high speed. Idles extremely bad, you need to keep one foot on the brake and one on the gas with the thing in neutral at every stop, didn't run so poorly at low idle originally. Plugs, plug wires, distributor and cap/rotor look extremely new. I've done some online searches and seem to get a different vacuum diagram every time I look.. Just bought the Haynes manual and cant put my hands on it at the moment. Anyway would like to keep what hair I have remaining so would appreciate some thoughts on what might iron this out. I don't want to do the carb unless it's the last resort as I figure on pulling the engine in the spring and giving it a whole new set-up, just want it to run decent for me this winter. I'm thinking I should mention this thing came equipped with cruise control which isn't functioning, and yes so far it seems like every issue aside from the computer has been vacuum related.

·
Registered
197 Posts
sounds like a bad vacuum leak. Get a can of starter fluid and spray it around till you hear the engine speed increase and your leak is in that area. I would also do a complete tune up Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil, tranny service, check timing, clean carb, and maybe check your compression so you know. If it sat for a long time I would replace all the vacuum lines anyways.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Can of starter fluid is a great idea! It worked for me. I would certainly clean the carb out. Sounds like it sat and it probably is a bit gummed up. Give it a little love with a tune up and she should be ok.

·
Registered
731 Posts
As stated, you need to check for vacuum leaks, I use Carb cleaner cause I have it handy, but starting fluid is fine. Get a timing light and a vacuum gauge.

Read THIS for vacuum and THIS for timing, look up carb adjustments as I have no links and no time right now.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I've honestly never had any success using carb cleaner, starter fluid or even propane gas checking for vaccum leaks so be carefull if you do, my fear of hitting a hot spot, fuel leak/s easily causing a fire...why not use a vaccum guage which would be far more accurate don't you think...jmo

You can adjust the carburetor, needle & seat, float level in the bowl and fuel air mixture for "standing and fast idle" without having to rebuild it. Be aware that any "backfiring" thru the carburetor will cause the power valve to fail but you can pull off the bowl if you're carefull without needing a new gasket and check/change the "power valve" in the metering block and see if that helps correct and sustain fuel thru the carburetor.

Then when you rebuild the engine by all means rebuild the carburetor...

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts