Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, only on damp days like this snow lately when it gets slushy my truck for some reason starts missing and will then die...pump, pump, pump, and can get it to fire back up then doesn't want to accelerate when under a load...but will rev if clutch pushed in. i replaced the TFI, distributor, rotor...all the grounds are high quality..both wires running to the coil were stipped and taped over, so i cut them and put butt conectors and then heat shrink tubing over them...went down the road and it only missed a little but no die...so i know it is a wire problem somewhere, possibly shorting out when damp? IT worked great once i hit the open road where there was dry pavement....any help would be greatly aprreciated.....as this is driving me nuts... :banghead :cry :cry :cry

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn, i am not that stupid that i need to know how to solder.. j/k, i used the butt connector to hold the wire together while soldering, fill up both ends then slide the heat shrink tubin over it.......wohoa you jumped to conclusions here, no EFI man, no way, now how....just a goofed up computer controlled carb...

I was just wondering if anyone had some ideas on which wire it could possibly be cutting the whole truck to die...

SO far i can only think, tfi plugin, spark plug wires, coil wires...and thats it because i am stoopid...

Oh i am also going to spray some water on connectors today while it is running to see if i get shocked or if it dies :)

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh found a wire today on the harness that plugs into the TFI module..it was bare like the coil wires, so i fixed it, hopefully solves all the probs...

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
:thumbup Good write up on the sodering FG, some of us learn by just reading about others problems.... 85bronc, glad you got it fixed---Fog :thumbup
:santa :santa

·
Registered
129 Posts
Have you tried starting the truck in pitch black darkness, and opening the hood to check the wires? When you look in you can see all the wires glowing; plug wires, coil, etc.... You can tell right away when a wire is bad because it will be arcing. That is how I figure out which of my wires are bad. Works pretty well.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i need to do that to check for any more but the prob is i have the stupid underhood light and then all around our yard we have motion lights...

·
Registered
129 Posts
just pull out the under hood lights, and just find a dark place. Even if there is light outside, you will be amazed with the glow under there, and what might be arcing. Lets us know.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i would do it tonight buttttt.....since we are getting this lake effect snow i couldn't see ten feet cruising down the road and it is too damn cold out..lol

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
85f150 said:
i would do it tonight buttttt.....since we are getting this lake effect snow i couldn't see ten feet cruising down the road and it is too damn cold out..lol
Hey 85f150

Get on down to Ford and ask for the TFI coil wire repair plug. They make a real nice plug with two thicker, better insulated wires than stock and it comes with heat shrink already over the crimp connectors.

They other thing it can be is an cracked wire(not completely broken) just before your in tank pump (I'm assuming your computer controlled carbed truck has the same in-tank pump as my EFI 86 Bronco.

One real stinker that had me replace most of my ignition system components until we found it was this; the GD orange fusible link just off your solenoid. Busted wired inside the fusible link's hunk of plastic/rubber, WHO"D EVER SEE THAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happened once in a blue moon, but stranded me everytime.

Other than that, mild fuel restrictions at the filter or water in the gas. I use nothing but ethanol (gasohol) and my Bronco loves it.

Best of luck finding it

Sixlitre :)

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nope no intake pumps.....only mechanical on the block, and i just replaced it last weak because it started leaking....as of right now it is giving me no probs so i am not going to investigate....because i am trying to spend as much time as i can on the 351 so i can get it in..:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts