Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 351W in my '88 Bronco. It seems everytime I go out and start it it starts fine when it is cool. After I have been driving it and try to restart it, it turns over really slow and sticks sometimes. Basically it sounds like when you run a battery out? I had the same issue with a 5.0 motor I had in my ranger? Is this a common problem and can it be fixed? Thanks for the help.

Miller

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
it does the same thing on my mom heep, i think the heat sheild is missing,

idk, it is on my moms heep, so it is an idea

·
Registered
273 Posts
When mine did that, it was the starter going bad. When the starter was cool it would crank right up. When it was hot like stopping for lunch or fueling up, it sounded like the battery was almost dead. When hot, the starter was pulling 450 amps. :shocked I need to put a heat shield between the headers and the starter. I guess I will do that when I install my lift.

·
Call Me Ace
1,953 Posts
valve cover leak= bad start?
i know when mine does that- its usually the starter going bad.
i used to have leaky valve covers- but it didnt the start didnt change when i replaced the gaskets.
it made the engine smell a bit beetter though!
ace

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have the same problem. I go through starters like a fat kid through twinkies. I do have leaky valve covers along with everything else.

·
Registered
273 Posts
slaga said:
When mine did that, it was the starter going bad. When the starter was cool it would crank right up. When it was hot like stopping for lunch or fueling up, it sounded like the battery was almost dead. When hot, the starter was pulling 450 amps. :shocked I need to put a heat shield between the headers and the starter. I guess I will do that when I install my lift.
I replaced my long block about a year before I had a problem with the starter. I don't think oil was the cause. Heat from the headers was my problem.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
BillyB said:
I have the same problem. I go through starters like a fat kid through twinkies. I do have leaky valve covers along with everything else.
Try wrapping your starter with a heat shield.

And yes it sounds like the sarter is on it's way out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help

Well I think that the heat sounds like the problem. The next question is what to build, or where to buy a heat sheild. Guess I will spend some time under the bronco figuring that out this weekend! Gotta love the Beast! Thanks for all the help!

Miller

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
You could also get the high torque gear drive starter that was used on later Broncos/F-Serize trucks and Mustangs. It is much stronger than the older gear drive units.

And unleas you guys are running long tube headers, heat alone shouldnt be the problem. It is a contributing facter obviously, but somthing else is helping it.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,254 Posts
I bought my heat shield from a local performance shop. it was $ 25 for a thick sock type of wrap that attaches itself with velcro. My hot start problem was the flexplate though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts