Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '95 Bronco XLT 5.8L with 162,000 mi, when the engine is first started it runs fine, starts right up. At the point when it goes into a lower idle, the engine starts acting like it is going to die,when driving at this point the vehicle loses power and seems to cut out. Once it is warmed up everything seems fine. My local dealer serviced it and could find nothing wrong, they did change a speed sensor because it gave some error code.

I have personally changed the following: Plugs, rotor, cap, MAP sensor, TPS sensor, Oxygen Sensor, fuel filter. I am by no means a mechanic, but am pretty competent with many repairs.

If anyone has any tips to this problem it would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,995 Posts
My 86 has the ability to pull CODES with the two OEM plugs over on the passenger side fender well, you need to buy or borrow a code reader that just plugs in and with the book, pull codes to see what's going on. Do a " search" here up at the top and you'll find a ton of ideas.

Good Luck

:enforce :enforce :enforce :enforce :enforce :enforce :enforce :enforce

Fix or shoot it I say!

·
Registered
38 Posts
well i have the same problem, i have a 94 with the 351, and drove mine from out east to iowa with no problems, and it just started doing this about a month ago, i was hoping it was my 02 sensor, because i have done everything as u did, cleaned throttle body and IAC also, when it is warm after 5 minutes runs great starts right up, goes to 7 800 rpms for about 10 seconds then starts to stumble for about 3 minutes will die if i dont play with the gas pedal, so i just wait the 3 minutes and runs fine, if i finally find the problem will let u know, i also have about 163k on mine,

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
Check for vacuum leaks. I went through the same thing with my Mustang, no codes, check every sensor....nothing. Replace several cracked vacuum lines when I changed my valve cover gaskets and the problem went away.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Search.........using some key words from your first post might aim you in the direction of cleaning your IAC selonoid

·
Registered
48 Posts
have you cleaned your mass air sensor yet?. my 94 thunderbird did that stumbling crap till i cleaned it. also check to see on top of the housing theres 2 little bolts that hold the sensor to the meter if they are loose or if the hole to one is stripped. mine had a stripped hole and wasnt reading the air right when it went through the mass air meter. just get you some q-tips and some electric parts cleaner, take the sensor off the housing and swap the prongs lightly with the q-tips it might be dirty. hope this helps a little :thumbup

·
Registered
38 Posts
do not beleive they are MAF, mine is not, it is speed density i beleive that is what it is called, mine is a 94 and i know it is not MAF!!!

·
green ones make me horny
11,148 Posts
den94bronco said:
do not beleive they are MAF, mine is not, it is speed density i beleive that is what it is called, mine is a 94 and i know it is not MAF!!!
it all depends on when it is made mine is a 94 and it is MAF.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problem Finally Solved!!!!!!!

It turns out that the NEW battery was leaking acid and it was running down the positive battery terminal. This compromised the cable and the connection to the oxygen sensor, causing the O2 sensor to pick up erroneous voltage from the battery, which caused the engine to run rough.

Thanks for all of the advice and hopefully this will help others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input, I finally solved the problem which you may want to see if you have the same issue. The battery was leaking acid that ran down the battery cable harness, which also connects to the O2 sensor. This caused the O2 sensor to pick up erroneous voltage from the battery, thus causing the engine to run rough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts