Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening
I have searched every way I could think of. I have found a post that is similar which I will try but it doesn't have much to go on or a final solution to the problem.
Anyways my problem is I can be making several stops for instance running errands and the truck will do fine for the first stop. After the starting up to leave it will start to bog down and than seem to drop a cylinder or two. It doesn't matter if I put the gas pedal to the floor or not, the truck will not respond. If it does respond it is very minimal compared to what I am doing with the gas pedal. I have thought bad gas but I go to the same gas station every time and it has been through several tanks. It does not matter if I am on the front tank or the second tank, the problem persists. I have pulled codes and I have nothing. I tried checking the TPS thinking that may be it but it looks new even though I have owned the truck for 7 years now. I couldn't get any readings off of it as I couldn't get the leads inside the connector very well to make contact and I don't like to poke through the wire insulation. I have replaced the cap and rotor and the PCV valve. I have pulled plugs and they look fine. The plug wires have no resistance and the insulation is fine.
The one post I found was talking about a PIP sensor and the ignition control module. I will look into testing these components out. I don't know if it is related or not but when I am filling up at the gas station the front tank can be difficult to fill up. I can not put the nozzle all the way in because it will click off. I have to have the nozzle barely in the fill tube and even then it will not go automatically with the little lever thing on the nozzle. The back tank is fine. I can stick the nozzle all the way and set the lever thing and go wash the windshield. I can not find anything on what to look into for the fuel tanks. I have ran seafoam through both tanks. The next thing I plan to do is run seafoam through the intake side and let it sit to see if that helps.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I would think that if it were the PIP sensor or the Ignition Control Module I would have a code for it. But there is nothing. The check engine light does work as it comes one for the self check upon startup but nothing more. It is so intermittent it is frustrating. the problem will show up for a couple of weeks and than nothing. The truck runs great. Than it will start again.
Thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
When it is having the issue check the fuel pressure.

The ignition. Module can be tested at a auto parts store. Have it ran 3 time so the module heats up. If it is bad it will fail after heated up from the tests.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All right thanks a lot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I checked out the local auto parts store. They had no idea about what I was talking about to test the Control module. Big surprise. There is a NAPA which I will check and hope to also figure out a way to run a temporary fuel pressure gage that I can see while driving safely of course. It is starting to do it more frequently now within the first few minutes of beginning to drive. Sometimes it gets so bad that it sounds like it is "dieseling". I know this isn't much help without knowing the fuel pressure but I really would like to solve this issue. The truck does not respond to the gas pedal much at all during this time and it actually feels like the truck shifts into some sort of slow gear. When it is done playing around it shifts into normal and is just fine. I can hear the fuel pump run when you first flip the key forward. Any normal driving is just fine no issues. So I cant put my finger on the fuel pump being the culprit. I also don't see how it can be a component getting hot when it does it while the engine is still warming up. I am really puzzled. I checked for codes once again and still have nothing.
Any suggestions would be most helpful.
Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Allow me to clarify as I searched dieseling. it does not continue to run after I shut off the truck. I mean it sounds exactly like a diesel just running easy up a hill or something.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New Update

So it has been awhile since the last reply to this thread. I am still having the same issues and now has intensified to all the time not just for a few minutes. I have not been able to get to this for quite some time until yesterday. I have used both the EEC Ford Manual that i have and the Haynes Manual to test the TPS, IAC, plug wires. The only thing new on the truck is a new alternator and TPS. Still the problem persists. Everything that i have checked so far comes out with no problems. I have no codes stored in memory. I did the KOER test with no codes except system pass. I tried to use the fuel pressure gage i have but the fitting that connects the hose to the fuel rail has broken. So i plan on getting a new tester. I have no idea what else to try other than the MAP sensor, Ignition Control Module, ECT and the fuel pressure regulator. Doing searches i am not so sure about the ICM. As i understand it i should have an erratic or no tach. It is the grey module and i need to find someone who can test it. I have included a video of the truck running. This is trying to get onto the highway. Pretty sure a geo metro could run me down right now. I have other videos but my phone is archaic by todays standards and will not download them to the email. Go figure. Regardless i have no power at all now. the only time the symptoms stop is finally getting to a cruising speed. Around the city from stop light to stop light i get the surging thing. The other thing i did is check for vacuum leaks. I couldnt find any. As soon as i can get the FP tester i hope to find a surging fuel pressure but i am not counting on it. I do not understand why i have no codes. I have even put on a new IAC from autozone which didnt change a thing. Fortunately i was able to replace it.
I would appreciate any feedback as i am not sure what else to check besides the items i listed.
Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also put on a new pcv, rotor cap and button. The plugs looked a bit white but no other weird indication. I rechecked the gap at .44. The only thing i can guess is the exhaust. I have noticed a leak somewhere up towards the front of the truck. From the last cat back is new witha flowmaster 44. I did hollow out the second cat. I am not sure if this may be an issue but i did this all after the symptoms first started.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also put on a new pcv, rotor cap and button. The plugs looked a bit white but no other weird indication. I rechecked the gap at .44. The only thing i can guess is the exhaust. I have noticed a leak somewhere up towards the front of the truck. From the last cat back is new witha flowmaster 44. I did hollow out the second cat. I am not sure if this may be an issue but i did this all after the symptoms first started.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
So it has been awhile since the last reply to this thread. I am still having the same issues and now has intensified to all the time not just for a few minutes. I have not been able to get to this for quite some time until yesterday. I have used both the EEC Ford Manual that i have and the Haynes Manual to test the TPS, IAC, plug wires. The only thing new on the truck is a new alternator and TPS. Still the problem persists. Everything that i have checked so far comes out with no problems. I have no codes stored in memory. I did the KOER test with no codes except system pass. I tried to use the fuel pressure gage i have but the fitting that connects the hose to the fuel rail has broken. So i plan on getting a new tester. I have no idea what else to try other than the MAP sensor, Ignition Control Module, ECT and the fuel pressure regulator. Doing searches i am not so sure about the ICM. As i understand it i should have an erratic or no tach. It is the grey module and i need to find someone who can test it. I have included a video of the truck running. This is trying to get onto the highway. Pretty sure a geo metro could run me down right now. I have other videos but my phone is archaic by todays standards and will not download them to the email. Go figure. Regardless i have no power at all now. the only time the symptoms stop is finally getting to a cruising speed. Around the city from stop light to stop light i get the surging thing. The other thing i did is check for vacuum leaks. I couldnt find any. As soon as i can get the FP tester i hope to find a surging fuel pressure but i am not counting on it. I do not understand why i have no codes. I have even put on a new IAC from autozone which didnt change a thing. Fortunately i was able to replace it.
I would appreciate any feedback as i am not sure what else to check besides the items i listed.
Thanks
I'm pretty sure you should have a black ICM, but having the wrong ICM should give you a 212 CM code. It will not light the CEL so you have to get the Continuous Memory codes. The wrong ICM will not cause all your symptoms, but fix the problems you find.
Get a Motorcraft ICM - other ones are problem prone.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ICM is black in color. I looked at it much closer than a quick glance. I have not been able to get a FP gage on the fuel rail yet due to work hours but i hope to this weekend.
The fuel filter was changed at the beginning of last year (2015) by the way. I hear the fuel pump in either tank cycle on with the key also.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New Update

Finally got the FP gage hooked up and i tested in accordance with the EEC Manual i have. So KOEO is 40 PSI. Idle is 32 PSI. With the regulator vacuum line disconnected 42 PSI. Now the manual calls to test the leakdown rate where you idle the engine than shut it down, than KOEO and note the pressure. Than you time it in a minute your leakdown should be within the same pressure as KOEO. At the beginning mine was sitting at 39. Well within range. However in a minute the pressure actually went up to 41. I sat there and watched the gage increase. I was expecting it to hold at 39 but not increase. I am assuming the regulator checks out fine. So i set up the gage so i can see it through the windshield and went for a drive. The pressure fluctuated as did the RPM. It was anywhere from 30-38 PSI. So once again i disconnected the regulator and plugged up the vacuum line and I still got the irratic RPM and pressure flucuation. So once again i believe the regulator is fine. I have noticed the FP increases when the RPM decreases. However later in the day i went to run some errands and finally got a check engine light.
633 4x4 switch closed
72 MAP out of range during Dynamic Response Test
542 Fuel pump secondary circuit fault.
It does not always pop on unless I am driving in the city with a lot of stop and go type driving causing the irratic RPM. I was thinking about replacing the fuel filter until i got the CE light. Now I am thinking the MAP sensor. However i dont know what to make of the 542 code.
Any thoughts?
Thanks for everyone looking

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone have any suggestions? I can not find much information about the MAP sensor other than people saying to replace it. No troubleshooting or anything. I have been combing through Steve83's supermotors pages but I have not located the MAP sensor there even though I am sure it has to be.
I have got to figure this out. It is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Your '95 will only have three digit codes - you misread the 72 MAP code. try again.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Here is information on the MAP, which you will only have if you are SD. These sensors rarely fail and they are expensive.
MAP or BAP? Which Sensor is it?

As the MAP indicates engine vacuum, the first place I would look is for a vacuum leak.

After receiving proper 3-digit DTCs, I would bet they may direct you to ICM/PIP/Coil. As Mikey says, get the proper codes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the feed back. I do have speed density and I did check for vacuum leaks. I did not find any. I looked at the various vacuum lines but did not see anything brittle other than the vacuum line that goes to the blend door actuator on the far passenger side. The other thing I did while the engine was running was spray some starting fluid around the vacuum lines but I did not notice a change in RPM.
Mikey350, I will double check the codes again. Cant hurt. Unfortunately I have not seen the CE light come on again but I did not erase the codes either so it should still be in memory.

Seattle FSB, thanks for the article. I do believe I have those symptoms associated with a MAP sensor. The other thing I forgot to mention is the truck does seem to shift a little bit harder in the stop and go traffic with first gear. If it is a lot of traffic I wind up shifting it manually into first gear and leaving it until I get out of the traffic but it still does it somewhat so I wonder if it is the TC locking or unlocking.
I have also noticed a drop in gas mileage so I have been wondering if it is a result of this issue.
I will double check these issues and see what I find.
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just great.

So I ran the codes again and wouldn't you know it. I get nothing. Not a thing.
633 4x4 switch closed
111 system pass
What gives? I really don't know what else to do with this thing. I hate to just start throwing parts at it and I don't want to spend a bunch of money letting some shop have a look and do what I have already done.
The only plan I can come up with is install a new MAP sensor, have the store test the ICM and install a new fuel filter. Than go from there.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I'm thinking its your fuel pump. I had a similar problem and code 542 popped up a few times, not always. Finally it got to the point where it just wouldn't start at all, ended up being the fuel pump.
Also, my fuel pressure was within the specs when tested so low fuel pressure is not always a symptom of a failing pump

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New Update!

So today in traffic I decided to shift the transmission into first gear to see what would happen. I have noticed that if I take overdrive off while rolling at 45 mph or so it doesnt surge. I was at a standstill and started moving again in first gear and no surge. I shifted to 2nd no surge. Drive with OD off, no surge. I repeated this a couple of times and no surge. I tried it in town and also drive just fine. So is there a sensor that tells the pcm what gear you are in and affects the engine rpm. Im wondering about the VSS or perhaps the sensor on the side that is connected to the shift lever I forget the name.The transmission is an E4OD. Can you test either of these with a multimeter? A couple of years back I had the rear end rebuilt I had to take it back since the speedometer was bouncing a lot. They replaced the VSS than and also the ring inside the rear end and it was fixed. I still do not have a CE light which now definetely tells me that there is nothing wrong with the engine other than a coolant leak. I do not have the OD light flashing either but the speedo works just fine.
Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After doing several searches I have narrowed it down to the VSS or transmission range sensor. Any suggestions on which one it may be?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts