Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been experiencing a very rough ride on these badboys (Rancho RS5000) There are 2 per tire with coilover/airbags. The friend whom sold it to me said that they are designed for lift, and that the rough ride was due partially to the fact that they were close to bottoming out without a lift.

So, is this true? What's the least expensive way about going with a suspension lift? I would like say, 2" or so...I do not ...will not...cut the fenders/bumper in any way shape or form. So, let's say I lift her up 2" and keep the tires wells/etc in place. Maximum width/height of tire? (Couldn't find this in the boards search engine). I do like the stock rims ...so changing into a larger width would be counterproductive for me.

Right now running on Goodyear Wrangler runflats (kevlar sidewalls). Was thinking about the good luck I had years ago with BFG Mud Terrains. Nice and quiet for a knobby tire. What do you guys think?

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
the airbags will take the sag out of your suspension, but they won't really give you a "lift", bacause you're still using the same size coil spring and shocks. just because the shocks are almost bottomed out doesn't mean they will be any rougher, the valving is constant, you just won't have as much droop available if your riding around with the bags full so that you have a higher ride. also, you'll still only have the same amount of wheel travel since they are stock shocks. stay away from the 2" kits, they are just bigger springs and you won't gain any travel. you will still need longer shocks, which will cost money, and when all is said and done you could have just gone with a used 4" kit for like $200 more.

RS 5000s are VERY stiff shocks. another thing to consider is your tires, the runflat kevlars are going to ride like shit because the sidewall is super stiff so it can support the tire with no air pressure.

as far as the maximum width/tire thing, don't give me the :bs of it not being here, i have posted it at least 3 times. IME, unless you do SOME trimming, you will rub just about anything you run (if you really wheel it), but since you don't want to trim, you're probably going to need at least 4" of lift to clear 33s on your 94. just my .02

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wasn't trying to say it wasn't there...but well, not in it's entirety. Was looking for 2" lift/largest tires without cutting. I will most likely go with 4" then. Now my buddy is claiming these are *not* the stock size shocks. That they have a longer travel for a lift. Can this be possibly true...or will I definatly need new shocks along with the lift kit?

My ole' Blazer had 33's with no chop chop or lift. (had 44's after that with lift)

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
BlackSunshine said:
My ole' Blazer had 33's with no chop chop or lift. (had 44's after that with lift)
my 89 had 33s stock too, but you will get some rub. they even rubbed with 4" lift. the shocks you have will probably not work with a 4" lift.

go to the rancho website. IIRC, they have a list of what shock part numbers go with which amount of lift. that would be your best bet to figure out which shocks you are running.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andy351 said:
my 89 had 33s stock too, but you will get some rub. they even rubbed with 4" lift. the shocks you have will probably not work with a 4" lift.

go to the rancho website. IIRC, they have a list of what shock part numbers go with which amount of lift. that would be your best bet to figure out which shocks you are running.

I must be running REALLY close to the limits being I have 32's on there now with no lift and no rub....maybe I'll find someone with a set of 33's and "try em on for size" :)

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
BlackSunshine said:
I must be running REALLY close to the limits being I have 32's on there now with no lift and no rub....maybe I'll find someone with a set of 33's and "try em on for size" :)
just cut the fenders dude. you don't need to cut that much, i promise.

B

·
0 Posts
Many of us are running only one shock up front to get a better ride and better flex. My bronc had too much dampening with two shocks (pro comps) to respond to the terrain I run on. Two shocks for high speed whomping is good though. Depends on what you do or what your building it for.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a 2.5" lift with 33" BFG's and only had to trim the front bumper air dam (located on bottom of bumper) at the corners. Go here and follow the link to my lift install for a few pictures. Hope you figure it out! :thumbup

Here is a before-

and after-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts