Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on running the rubicon with my bronco, and I was wondering what other modifications should I do to it to make it last, and what other types of tools I should bring. Here's what I've got so far:

Bronco:
351m, runs ok, just needs some carb adjustments that I'll never do
C6, works perfect
NP205 t-case
rebuilt rear driveshaft
unknown gears, I think they are somewhere in the range between 3.50 and 4:10
35" mud terrains
6" lift, swaybars removed

Here's what I plan on adding to it before the rubicon:
full rear spool or mini-spool
possibly some superflex springs and a shackle reversal

Tools:
Hi-lift
winch?
tool box with anything I'd need (sockets, wrenches, tire plugs, breaker bars, vise grips, etc...)
tow chain

Do you think my bronco would be capable of completing the rubicon without breaking everything, or should I wait until next year, and put in a 14bolt, D60 front, and do a bunch of other mods? I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot, but I'm relatively new to the off-roading world, and I'd like some advice before I put my DD on the line.

·
TTB Will Survive
246 Posts
MX500 said:
I'm planning on running the rubicon with my bronco, and I was wondering what other modifications should I do to it to make it last, and what other types of tools I should bring. Here's what I've got so far:

Bronco:
351m, runs ok, just needs some carb adjustments that I'll never do
C6, works perfect
NP205 t-case
rebuilt rear driveshaft
unknown gears, I think they are somewhere in the range between 3.50 and 4:10
35" mud terrains
6" lift, swaybars removed

Here's what I plan on adding to it before the rubicon:
full rear spool or mini-spool
possibly some superflex springs and a shackle reversal

Tools:
Hi-lift
winch?
tool box with anything I'd need (sockets, wrenches, tire plugs, breaker bars, vise grips, etc...)
tow chain
PM me and I'll give you some detials.

Just a quick note:
bring an extra drive shaft front/rear, u-joints, front axle inner/outer, take off your rear bumper, go out and get another rear gas skid plate and weld or bolt it onto your existing one, have a tree saver (tow strap), CB, JB Weld, rear diff gaurd, don't need shackle flip just add a block, lights close to your front fender to see rocks down below and of coarse lights so you can see trail at night, make sure the radiator stays cool otherwise make a mod on that, make sure your tranny stays cool otherwise make a mod on that, I would change your gearing if possible to 4:10, make sure you have put in manual locking hubs otherwise I gaurentee the stock auto hubs will break. and so on and so on and so on....

·
Raf is my Idol!!
1,364 Posts
I would highly recommend front and rear lockers. It will make your life a lot easier. Go easy on the gas, also being carbed you might have some issues. There are lots of hills and off camber spots. Dont be afraid of body damage. I have been with broncos with the TTB and rear 8.8 and they will make it, but be ready to replace front D44 axle shafts. They have a good chance of breaking. We have broken a lot of stub shafts and even inner shafts. (which suck to pull out on the trail!).

We have a bunch of trail reports here if you would like to see a lot of pics of fullsizes on the trail. All the reports 2002 and newer are good to look at.

http://www.wt4x4.net/trips/rubicon.htm

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
you have some good advice to start with. (some of it sounds familiar). I wouldnt recommend making the rubicon your first wheeling outing, especially in a fullsize. Its a tough trail when you are big like we are, and the people on that trail arent very sympathetic if you break. there also isnt a whole lot of room to get around stuck rigs when you are past walker hill and spider lake.
Learn first, work up to the Con. its also tough fo anyone to say if your rig will make it specifically ecause we dont know its condition. When Dave talks about us getting TTB rigs through, we had all the spare parts and tools, seasoned wheelers and well built rigs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 78, so it came with manual locking hubs, which have now been replaced with WARN hubs, so they shouldn't fail. Will the solid Dana 44 break as easily as the TTB? If it will, I might as well save my money and time, and swap in a D60 (or 70 if I find one for cheap). New (stronger) Axles and gears could cost almost as much as a used d60.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What size tires should I run then? my tires are cracked pretty badly, the rears are worn out, and the front have holes stabbed in the sidewalls. I'll need to replace them anyways. I'm thinkin 38"s, but I don't want the rig any more top heavy than it already is.

·
TTB Will Survive
246 Posts
plug ugly said:
you have some good advice to start with. (some of it sounds familiar). I wouldnt recommend making the rubicon your first wheeling outing, especially in a fullsize. Its a tough trail when you are big like we are, and the people on that trail arent very sympathetic if you break. ...When Dave talks about us getting TTB rigs through, we had all the spare parts and tools, seasoned wheelers and well built rigs.
Sounds familiar??? That wouldn't be me would it! :histerica Plug Ugly, thanks for the advice and details. I take your suggestions to heart.

Follow his advice about the Rubicon and not making it your first wheeling experience. You need to learn your vehicle first and how to repair every part of it and how to place it through trails and on obstacles. You can do the con with ttb but as said, you need to be prepared for the front outer axle stubs to break.

I would have to say that people are more sympathetic to your breakage when you have beer to give them and are able to pull off to the side. With the new laws you can't go more than 25 feet off the trail otherwise you'll be hit with a nice big 175$ ticket. So that doesn't leave many options for parking in a nice place to do repairs.

·
Registered
189 Posts
On 35s, you'd better have some good rock sliders also! Years ago, I ran it with 35s, and I used the rock sliders a LOT...I was also locked front and rear, winch, etc...you would need at LEAST one locker (or spool) in a fullsize...two will make life much easier. I also concur with the guys who say that the Rubicon shouldn't be one of your first wheeling experiences...it's too long and decently tough - you need to learn your rig better, learn how to fix things that break, and also learn how to drive it competently (I am not putting down whatever skills you have, it's just that we don't know your ability and it sounds as though you are new to it all?)

So, I'd suggest first working your way up to a trail like the 'Con...but if you are deadset on going, you need to at least make sure you go with another well set up rig. Bring all the spares that were mentioned, tools, and an expectation that you will get body damage. Highly suggest some kind of rocker protection, otherwise your doors won't open (or go back on if you take them off). And lastly, you might want to go on a weekday, so that you are not holding up the crowd (they get real antsy up there for any wait)...

·
TTB Will Survive
246 Posts
I have 35's and rocksliders and have done well so far on the con. Unfortunately I have not been able to take a whole weekend off to go through the whole con. I know that there are a few parts towards the end that are very difficult but w/35's and rocksliders as well as all the other items you will be able to get through the con. My friend just completed it the other weekend w/35's and rocksliders.

If you go 38's than you will want to do the sas. You don't want to go much bigger than 35's w/the ttb.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, hopefully I'll have the rig ready to go by the end of summer.

·
TTB Will Survive
246 Posts
plug ugly said:
he's already got a solid axle.
Oops, forgot, didn't go back and read the whole post again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.