Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i'm having a problem deciding on true duals or y pipe all the shops around my area will only do a y pipe not true duals.. Is their any performance lost with a y pipe or is it better with true duals??:whiteflag

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
inpurgatory1 said:
people here get real touchy if you ask questions on thier web site without using the search function :cry .
Who got touchy? :shrug

I dont feel touchy :toothless

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the inconvence i did a search and not what i wanted to know came up but i did another search after your coment and i found what i wanted to know..:popc1:

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Performance wise, it really doesn't matter as long as you don't go wild with the pipe size on the duals.

Personally, I did the Bassani Y-Pipe with a 3" Magnaflow hi-flow cat and muffler with a turn down. Small bump in power and MPG. My only complaint is that the turn-down makes dust billow (sp?) up from under the truck in places with powdery dirt.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
True duals don't gain you much of anything unless you're playing around in the range where you're tuning exhaust pressure waves for scavenging -- and I can assure you that no one I've ever talked to with a Bronco is doing anything like that, since it takes some pretty expensive dyno work to really get right.

Just go with a good, mandrel bent Y-pipe, and you'll be golden. :twotu:

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
It's almost 100% personal preference. If I had to redo my exhaust, I wouldn't do anything different. Some say you loose low-end torque with duals, which is true, but it's so microscopic you wouldn't notice it unless you owned a dyno.

First, are you going to run cats? It's much cheaper to go the single 3" with a cat, since obviously two cats will cost twice as much.

Second, what do you want it to sound like? Quiet? Loud? Obnoxious? You'll want to keep the cats if you want to tone it down a bit. Mine has no cats and it's loud but it's exactly how I wanted it. Again, personal preference.

Third, if none of the shops around there will do duals (which I think is really odd) then is it even an option?

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
im running true duals... once i get the cash.
sorry to hyjack- but if you dont have any cats... how do you pass emissions? if i get highflow- will it have the same tone as no cats?
ace

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
WheelinElvis said:
im running true duals... once i get the cash.
sorry to hyjack- but if you dont have any cats... how do you pass emissions? if i get highflow- will it have the same tone as no cats?
ace
Easy. Small town, people know people, 5 cops in the entire town...yeah.

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
oh... yeah- i guess that could work.
but, i live in houston... not so small around here.
but- if i use the high-flow cats, can i get close to the same tone as a no-cat system?
ace

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
WheelinElvis said:
oh... yeah- i guess that could work.
but, i live in houston... not so small around here.
but- if i use the high-flow cats, can i get close to the same tone as a no-cat system?
ace
It will be a bit quieter with a bit different pitch in tone, but overall it will be nearly the same outcome. I would make sure there are no shops around you that would either cut them off and inspect it (and clear it) or bust them out for you (hollow cats = cats to the eye, but not to the ear) and pass inspection for you. Other than that, you've got to be legal.

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
ill check around here, but most of the shops around are pretty strict about inspection.
ace

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
WheelinElvis said:
ill check around here, but most of the shops around are pretty strict about inspection.
ace
I wouldn't doubt it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts