Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an opertunity to trade a used AOD that i have for a lockRight with about 60miles on it. the person swaped to a ford 9inch so of course he couldnt use it. I do light to mod wheeling , the bronco has 35's and brand new 4.88's. would installing a used locker like this pose a problem. I dont want the locker to let go and destroy the gears i just had installed or could that even happen. I dont know what these lockers do when the fail. I appreciate your advice.

Thanks
Travis

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Lockrites typically won't damage the gears when they fail. The short engagement teeth end up rounding off over time and it will begin to slip or disengage. I ran one for years in my 8.8 and when it failed it was a result of not getting off of the gas after getting some air on a difficult hill climb. There were only fine particles in the bottom off the housing. I personally haven't seen one explode or leave large fragments before.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
right on, thanks for the feedback guys. currently the tranny is still mounted to the motor and tcase. I must leave the motor in the rolled bronco so what would be the best method for removal. I know the tcase should come out first. should the crossmember stay in place? if i drop the tranny out would the motor stay put as well or do i need to secure it some how?

Travis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts