Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to redo my exhaust really soon.... actually I have to do it as soon as possible. Ill be taking everything from the engine back. long tubes and all. ANyway here is what Im thinking about doing:
Shorty headers, Y-pipe, 3" Pipe, Probably a flowmaster Original 40 with a cut down or maybe exit infront of the rear tire.
Anyway, Im thinking about having the whole thing stainless steel and 3".

My question to you guys is what company makes a good set of S.S. shorties and y-pipe?

Also what do you guys thing of the general setup? anything better I could do?

Enigine info: 351W performer edelbrock intake, 4bbl holley, stock cam (for now)

Thanks for the help!

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Bassani makes a 2.5" into 3" Y in stainless $$$$
Force Automotive makes mufflers with the same internal design as a 40 serise for 1/2 the price.
Not sure about stainless, but BBK, Bassani, and most other popular aftermarket companies make quality ceramic coated headers for your app.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to go SS cuz Im tired of rusty lookin headers, that and SS should hold up for a long time.
So a Y-pipe from Bassani would be best?
Honestly I want to do the best thing I can for the exhaust... with sound being a big factor. I want a very deep loud sound...(not open header loud though)

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,858 Posts
do a search for the hooker aero chamber muffler. a few guys on here are running one and i think they sound real good.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
do a search for the hooker aero chamber muffler. a few guys on here are running one and i think they sound real good.
Lovin' mine on the Lincoln

Yet to try one on the Bronco.

Snowman

if you're not looking forward to the price of the Bassani you can always build one. s1120 is doing just that, over here;

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115782

As far as the tailpipe goes people here have scored that mandrel bent Maremont 3" tailpipe for as low as $23.00 :shocked

Hard to beat that.

SIxlitre

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Probably a flowmaster Original 40
Same internal construction as the original 40, 1/2 the $$$$$
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FRC%2D5102&N=700+4294923429+4294922711+400359+4294791975+4294906132+4294906122+115&autoview=sku

Turbo style (deep mellow tone) for $22.00
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...891681+4294906122+4294906135+115&autoview=sku

Best sounding mufflers in the world in my opinion, and outflow a 40 series.
http://www.spintechmufflers.com/spintech/spintechindex.asp
And there price is on par with the aero chamber and Flowmaster.
http://www.spintechmufflers.com/spintech/products.asp?category=5&order=partno&Otype=street

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just redone my exhaust had the force automotive mufflers with 5 inch echo tips.i love the sound and they are duels,oh and only cat i have is in my yard lol.I guess I'll get flamed but where I'm at we don't have inspection and they were gone before i got the truck. The guy who done my system turn them out as close to back tire as he could it helped with the fumes inside a bunch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In a fairly stock 5.0 Bronco, would there be anything beneficial from running a dual exhaust setup like lmctruck offers with the dual 2 1/4" off road systems, (ditching the glasspacks of course) or would it be just the same to run an aftermarket Y pipe like the Bassani with just one muffler?? I'm leaning towards the latter with some decent shorty headers and most like the new Hooker muffler, just curious on yall's logic about that matter.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
In a fairly stock 5.0 Bronco, would there be anything beneficial from running a dual exhaust setup like lmctruck offers with the dual 2 1/4" off road systems, (ditching the glasspacks of course) or would it be just the same to run an aftermarket Y pipe like the Bassani with just one muffler?? I'm leaning towards the latter with some decent shorty headers and most like the new Hooker muffler, just curious on yall's logic about that matter.
Performance wise it is worst than a single 3".

Astheticly, it is the same as a single exhaust, becouse I am 90% both pipes point out the pass side. Ofcourse, no one has actualy bought that kit to find out 100% where it comes out at.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
....wait..... so a single 3" isnt good for my application?

Thanks for the info on different mufflers guys! But what about the headers? Which do you all recommend? Im thinking S.S. headers/y-pipe would be best... am I wrong? Is there something better I can go with? ceramic coated? ...?

·
Registered
904 Posts
no its perfect.

and i just got the maremont pipe (m30001 at autozone) and it looks very nice. $30.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I looked up the bassani y-pipe. I found them for about $200 which is fine, however the only 2 they have are for years 86-95 with a 302 or years 88-95 with a 351W. The problem here is I have 87 with a 351W..........?

As for the headers $400 from Bassani isnt exactly ok for me lol

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well now, I found that I can get shorty headers (painted) for about $250 or ceramic coated for around $400... so by the looks of it for a good pair of headers Ill need to spend around $400.
Now the question is what should I go with? I cant seam to be able to find ss shorties so ceramic would be the way to go?

EDIT:
I just dont get it anymore...... The more I search and read different topics on exhaust the more I just get lost. Some say headers are great - some say there pointless - some say stock manifolds are the best, etc... So whats the deal? Whats the best possible exhaust setup in terms of headers/manifolds... y-pipe/ duel?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
EDIT:
I just dont get it anymore...... The more I search and read different topics on exhaust the more I just get lost. Some say headers are great - some say there pointless - some say stock manifolds are the best, etc...

So whats the deal? Whats the best possible exhaust setup in terms of headers/manifolds... y-pipe/ duel?
The 302/351 Bronco exhaust can be broken down into four components (to help you simplfy);

1st.) Manifolds (or headers). Nothing wrong with the stock manifolds, though the 351s often crack.

2nd.) Y-pipe. Stock has two cats and is the single biggest problem holding back mileage and torque increases.

3rd.) Muffler is almost(5" of connector pipe) right off the rear cat. Quiet but not the problem for mileage and torque increases.

4th.) Tailpipe. Not a restriction, but could be made more efficient.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logical sequence of Improvements

1st and FOREMOST. Get a larger, better, more efficient Y-pipe and more modern single 3 stage cat. Cost ? witha 351 it's custom or Bassani, so $100.00 to nearly $300.00.

This single change, even retaining your stock manifolds, muffler and tailpipe, will wake up your bronco FAR MORE than any other exhaust change. It will also pay for itself over time from the increased mileage(mpg) you gain.

2nd.) Afterwards satisfy your lust for a louder muffler and buy any one you like. It will give you the sound you're after, but don't expect any improvement like you got with the Y-pipe.

3rd.) While you're at the muffler go ahead and buy a mandrel bent tailpipe. If nothing else, they're cheap. Dynomax makes a mandrel bent 2 1/2" unit for @$40.00.

Maremont makes a 3" mandrel bent tailpipe that some people here have scored for as low as $23.00 :shocked

4th.) and very must lastly. If you still haven't spent enough, prepare to spend double (on a 351) what you've already spent to get shorty headers.

There is zero mpg increase to be had and small mid range increase, but be careful you might not notice the difference between them and your manifolds.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
Well I guess the manifolds come out at the same exact angle than.. so Im guessing that means you can use the 88-95 351's y pipe.

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115903&highlight=bassani
I posted in that thread wheres the best deal on the y pipe.

www.autoanything.com sometimes has good deals... I remember in Decemeber they had $20 off $200. Right now they are doing free shipping, and I found a coupon for ya.. listed below.

coupon code: AFF05009
$12 off $120+

I ordered from performance peddler and was very happy with the customer service and the y pipe got to me within a week from CA all the way to the east coast of GA.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
I see, that definitely clarified things for me thanks!:beer
So I'd like to go with headers and a y-pipe from Bassani from there it will be 3" to a muffler.

Looking through the bassani site (www.bassani.com), they don't have headers or a y-pipe for my 87 with a 351W.

The applications are for:
-1986-1995 with a 302
-1988-1995 with a 351W

EDIT:
headers http://www.bassani.com/headers/?manufacturer=6
y-pipe http://www.bassani.com/xy/?manufacturer=6
I guess money is not a problem for you

if you're buying Bassani headers. I can't answer the 351 fitment question for you, but if Bassani is making it difficult to give them your money, consider the 351 Catco pipe, like TMWalmart is doing;

True the 302 Catco Y-pipe is better, as you can see the Catco 351 pipe is still a vast improvement over stock Y-pipe.

Again I'd suggest you stick a Y-pipe on the manifolds first and then get ready to be disappointed later when you add the shorties:rofl::histerica

If money had been a problem I'd have suggested you rip over to s1120's stellar custom Y-pipe build;

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114224

and whip yourself up something like he and I have done;

Sixlitre

1 - 20 of 29 Posts