Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seams like too much gas is getting through as the cat is emitting fumes. How do I adjust the fuel intake on the EFI or what else could it be?

·
Registered
107 Posts
You cant adjust the fuel. If the ECM thinks the engine is cold it will richen up the fuel. A T/stat could be bad or the temp sensor is reading wrong.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You may not have a code to read. But some readers also read some engine perimeters such as engine temp. oil pressure and timing.

·
Premium Member
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might be timing, my friend says he hears a miss but I can't hear nothing due to the headers and dual exhaust. If there is a miss, it's barely off. I don't have either a code reader or timing light, so I might just take it to someone.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My 89, 302. Rich, running bad on start up. Black crap building up in the exhaust. Make a long story short. It was the 02 sensor. But what a hassle...and you never know, it could be any number of things. Pull Codes.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
You may not have a code to read. But some readers also read some engine perimeters such as engine temp. oil pressure and timing.
just because the check engine light is not on does not mean there is not codes.

and you do not need a code reader, all you need is a peice of wire. http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
My F250 has been running rich with no CEL and a KOEO Code 327 (EGR valve position circuit below minimum voltage). KOER shows a clear 111.

Yesterday, I replaced the old cracked Fuel Vapor Line between the Carbon Canister and Canister Purge Regulator Valve (CPRV) (aka Canister Purge Solenoid (CANP)) and the throttle body.

More importantly, I also found and repaired a major gouge that was hidden under the white vacuum line between the Vacuum Reservoir (VRESER) and the EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR).

As I am no longer venting fuel vapor into the atmosphere and my EGR is now working efficiently, I immediately noticed a positive change. The EFI 5.8L is running great both on the freeway and in town. No more rich exhaust smell and a noticeable increase in both power and fuel mileage... :thumbup

·
Premium Member
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Seattle FSB I think my issue is something close to yours. I'll check the vacuum lines and try cleaning the EGR.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not sure how relevant this is, but my 92 Mustang GT was relived of all it's smog crap, and the egr port on the intake and heads was capped. Pump was tossed in the trash. (Wish I had kept it to vent the crank case through the valve covers) Never saw a code on the dash, but when we scanned it saw about 6 as I recall. I also never had a rich/lean issue BUT, I had installed an adjustable fuel pressure regulator that may have helped. I replaced the O2 sensors every two years needed or not. Another trick you guys may want to try, is removing the O2 from the exhaust stream a bit by screwing in a port extender. In the HELP section at the local auto part store you'll find an exhaust repair package that has two threaded tubes that screw into the O2 bung, then the sensor screw into them. I think they are about an inch long. What this will do is fool your ECU into thinking it's running to rich, and it will back off the fuel a bit. I did this on a Dodge truck and got 2 mpg more. If you floor it, it will by-pass this trick, so passing or emergency maneuvers should not be affected. In normal driving conditions it will feel a bit sluggish, or my Dodge did anyway. Take them out in the winter, or the dang thing might not start right. To lean for the cold weather.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Running too lean is worse than running rich. Jeffcityguy, are you sure that's safe?
Guess I'm never sure of anything, had my ego get the best of me many times! Drove that stang for two years like that! Worst case, you run lean and you'll know cause the motor will knock under load. You can back off the timing a tad to correct that and still get the added MPG. I did experiment with a vehicle that had a front and rear EGR, extending one and not the other, and found both could be extended in the summer, but only the rear in the winter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts