Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came to a stop sign as soon as I stop completely the engine dies, and it does not start back up. It cranks over but does not even try to start. I have the bronco towed home and try to go to work again like I was trying to in the first place. 8 hours later I get home and try to start the engine up again and it starts immediately.
Every once in a while my engine will die when I am at a stop and it always starts back up (sometimes it takes a while). I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem and what was causing this? ignition module?

95 bronco, 302, auto tans, stock.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
Sounds like a stator / TFI to me.
Have you checked for spark during one of these times on the side of the road?

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
:stupid
And if not that, have you replaced your fuel filter lately? May be time for a new fuel pump too.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,528 Posts
I am currently trying to diagnose that same issue.

That's how my problem started out, but now it's gotten worse.
Now the truck will startup when cold and idle till the cows come home, but...

If it's cold I can drive it a little... but it's acting up. I was lucky to get it in the garage this afternoon.
Once it's warm, I put it in any gear and it dies immediatly.
It will start again if I put the peddle to the floor... but again, dies immediatly going into gear.

I'm going to make another post for Ryan (CLICKY) regarding the codes I was able to manually pull using his instructions on fordfuelinjection.com
You may want to follow it, as I'm afraid you may be going down the same road. Try getting those codes, it may help diagnose.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm kinda thinkin this is some sort of plot by Chevy... Mine started acting like this last night too!!! I've tested the pumps, and put a pressure tester on the fuel rail and its getting the right fuel pressure and volume, and it goes up like it should when i disconnect the vacuum to the regulator.... It will idle fine but sounds real "throaty" and misses alot when I step on the gas, almost like its starving for fuel, but its not.... At least not to the fuel rail...And as soon as it cools down it will run fine till it warms up... I'm totally lost on what it could be...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think that my fuel pressure or filter is a problem becasue the diagnostic computer says that my fuel pressure is 5psi when idling (if I remeber correctly) and 15 or 16 psi at WOT. I have a feeling that my ignition control module is the problem; Does anyone know if the ignition control module can work fine and then not work at all? or is it- works or doesn't work.

Figures the day that I get my new set of gears, the engine starts acting up. But its been running fine ever since yesterday.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
I've had ignition problems like that in the past. Your coil is just a piece of wire (usually copper) wrapped real tightly into a coil. If a single section of the coil breaks (open), it can still allow current to pass through. However, as the coil heats up, the copper expands, making the opening larger and therefore hard for the current to jump the gap. Eventually it will open completely. Check for loose connections in your ignition system. Then check for spark at the coil. (check it when it fails of course)

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had a similar prob It would start and run until the engine got hot then die, it dint get rough idle it just like you turn the key off. then no spark after it cooled off it would start again. turns out it was the ICM (I happened to have an extra so no biggie ) if you are losing spark I would look at that and I have heard sometimes an old coil will guit when it gets hot, If you arent getting fuel I would check the fuel filter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
O.K. heres what I got.... Engine gets hot-starts running bad...TFI gets hot- starts running bad... I also noticed something last night, that when it got warm the tach would drop and show its not running... That led me to the TFI... and was right, that was the problem.... Just thought I would let yall know what my problem was... Thanks for the help....

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,528 Posts
1 down! :beer

·
Registered
63 Posts
hey guys ive got an 85 with a 351H.O. ( no computer to pull codes from). im having what sounds like the same problem. ive changed the icm, the ignition coil and the fuel filter. when it shuts off im not getting steady spark off the coil. it s mostly no spark, but occasionally ill see one spark or 2. wonderin if anyone has any guesses what to try next, im thinkin it may be the wire harness itself from the icm to the coil. also the icms can run fine when they are cold and stop when they get hot for whoever was askin, ive had 3 of them do that on mine and just changed one today on a asplundh tree company truck

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
The harness is a possability, but also consider that you could have bought some faulty parts. I hate to say go back and buy more parts, but hey, it's happened to me.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
95bronc said:
I don't think that my fuel pressure or filter is a problem becasue the diagnostic computer says that my fuel pressure is 5psi when idling (if I remeber correctly) and 15 or 16 psi at WOT. I have a feeling that my ignition control module is the problem; Does anyone know if the ignition control module can work fine and then not work at all? or is it- works or doesn't work.

Figures the day that I get my new set of gears, the engine starts acting up. But its been running fine ever since yesterday.

Whoa, whoa- that is way way too low for EFI. It should be aroud 30 psi idle and 40 psi driving.

Dustim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts