Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I swapped engines in my '92 Bronco. After 3 weeks I just got it running tonight after a lot of set backs. I labelled all sensors before I removed them. I also took a lot of pictures.

I stabbed the distributor and got it started. It runs for about 30 seconds before it shuts off. I hooked up a timing light and It doesn't seem very consistent. I made a mark at 10btdc and when I look at it with the timing light on it the mark will disappear and its erratic. I've triple checked my firing order which I'm using 15426378. I checked all my connections and I can't find anything I'm missing.

The engine is shaking a lot. I'm using the old spark plug wires because I'm cheap and they worked before. If I wanted to replace everything I would have rebuilt it instead.

Anyone have ideas?

Forgot to mention I pulled the spout connector when checking timing.

I just pulled codes. I can't ever tell the pauses but I got 53 then a 9? Not really sure what to do.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,088 Posts
What did the engine come out of? Is it a roller motor?

If it is, then the firing order is 13726548. Also, if that firing order works, you'll have to change the distributor gear otherwise you'll destroy the motor. Roller motors have a steel cam. You can't mix cast iron gears with steel, they will chew themselves up.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled it from a 1994 f150. So it should be the same. Is the firing order really different? I read somewhere that all 302's '94 and older were the firing order I used and '95 and newer shared the 351w firing order?

Just want to double check before I swap firing orders.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
The firing order SHOULD be the same, but don't assume. Could have a cam swap.

Do you know the history on the motor?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I don't know the history. I know it ran well and the previous owner had it for about 8 years. I still have the old distributor with the wires still attaches. Maybe I can figure out the firing order?

I just have a hard time believing that if the firing order was incorrect that it would still run.

The only thing I am using from the '94 is the lower intake with all the injectors. Everything elsr came off my Bronco

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know! I'll pick up a new set of wires and change the firing order tonight. I hope that's it.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,088 Posts
If it runs, make sure to use the distributor that came with that motor. It will have the gear you need already on it. Don't continue to run it on your original.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Camshaft and Firing Order: The firing order is determined by the camshaft in your engine. If you change the camshaft, then this information may not be valid.

There are three kinds of 302s made from 1982-2001.

5.0L HO - This engine was used in 1983-1995 Mustangs, Mark VII Lincolns, and some T-birds and Cougars. All Explorer 5.0L engines are 5.0L HO engines as well. They use the 351W firing order, 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. Except for the 1983-84 Mustangs, all of these engines are roller cam equipped. They use a reverse rotation water pump and front cover. The 1994-5 Mustang and all Explorers use a unique front cover and water pump.

5.0L Full Size Car - This engine was used in 1982-1990 Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis. They use the 289-302 firing order, 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. Most of these cars are not roller cam equipped, however sometime in the early 1990s they started using roller cams but retained the 302 firing order. They use a standard (clockwise) rotation water pump and front cover.

5.0L Truck (except Explorer) - These engines are similar to the Full Size Car engines, except they use different intake manifolds and camshaft profiles. They also use the 289-302 firing order, 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. This Bronco 5.0L engine is prior to 1994. They use a reverse rotation water pump and front cover.

5.0L HO, 5.8L & 6.6L – These engines use a 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order. Bronco 5.0L HO are roller cam engines starting in 1994.

See this link for more Bronco information: Bronco Engine, Transmission, Drivetrain History! For your reference...

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! That firing order chart made things very easy to understand.

I swapped plug wires and it runs perfect now. I timed it and all is good.

But, do I really need to swap distributors? They are both roller motors so I don't get why I would need to?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,088 Posts
If your absolutely positive they are both roller motors, then no. But did they make a roller motor with a firing order of 15426378? I have never seen one. .....

Although I read above they did, cheap insurance. ...... Put the distributor that came with the motor back in.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok will do! I believe the firing order was the same as my current engine but I started swapping wires. They were labelled 1 - 8 on each plug wire on the cap. Either way I'll swap them.

Thanks!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts