Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rust after powder coating

Here is my front bumper after 10 years in Michigan:

My opinion: I hate powder coating unless it's a show vehicle, paint is easier to repair chips

Any small stone chip exposed steel to the elements, which would start rusting. The rust would spread under the powder coating, which starts to peel. So now I must strip the entire bumper and paint it

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
:scratchhe

Rust isn't so much of an issue around here but for those folks like yourself, who live in the rust belt, you would suggest paint over Powder coating?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would suggest paint over Powder coating?
no, that won't help. the water gets in behind the powder coating and spreads. Painting it won't help, once it's ruined you have to strip the entire piece and recoat it.

I'm going to try bed liner on my bumper when I have the time to strip the whole thing :banghead
Also going to remove the plastic end caps and weld them shut.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Did ya get the caps in yet?

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I think even bedliner will give you the same results in the end. Just paint it and touch it up as you need to and when it starts to look hokey just resand and paint it.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
You will have better luck with the bed liner since it is softer. It resist chipping. Enamel is also better than laquer for the same reason. I have had good luck with the Duplicolor bed liner in a spray can. For price, ease of application and the fact that you can easily touch it up, it is hard to beat.

·
Registered
397 Posts
What about something like POR-15? It's very scratch and chip resistant and can be repaired. They have a uv additive to keep it from fading. I like the bedliner idea but if you don't want something textured the POR might be a good alternative.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
That's why I like spray paint.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
What about something like POR-15? It's very scratch and chip resistant and can be repaired. They have a uv additive to keep it from fading. I like the bedliner idea but if you don't want something textured the POR might be a good alternative.
You can get things such as durabak in smooth texture...

I personally like Rustoleum hammered paint, seems to hold up well and can get it in big cans for big jobs as well

·
Registered
604 Posts
Go to a body shop and ask them about a gel that loosens up the powdercoat. This is what he had to use in order to sandblast my rims. He got the majority of it off, but the rest I used a wire brush on the angle grinder. But if your using bedliner, use a grinding disc to rough up the suface, something for the stuff to grab to.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I hope the powder coating works out better on the inside of my new tailgate which I thought would be a good solution for the rusting problem on the inside of tailgates

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
i wouldnt powder coat the inside of the tail gate... paint it

once the powder coat chips it will just keep chipping... and is pretty much impossible to repair... and to strip it down and re-do requires cutting open the tailgate...

paint it w/ por 15 and find a way to vent it... add another drain hole or two and it wont rust for a long time

dc

·
not banned
5,969 Posts
i think por inside the tailgate would be very difficult. preparing the metal inside the tailgate seems difficult.

might rust bullet work better

i am asking, because i am facing the same problem. moreover, i have a gallon of por-15 and am looking at buying rust bullet for this very reason.
mj

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
I hope the powder coating works out better on the inside of my new tailgate which I thought would be a good solution for the rusting problem on the inside of tailgates
How do you powder coat the inside?

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
i wouldn't be so quick to knock powdercoating. there are several different types of powder that are designed specifically for prolonged exterior exposure. and while powdercoating is not "chip-proof," it is widely acknowledged to be very chip resistant, since powdercoating has give and flex to it and can bend without cracking. prep work can be critical in powdercoating applications.

i would say from looking at ryan's bumper that i agree with josh, the prep job on that bumper was very poor. then again, i bet he didn't pay alot for that bumper either. hrm, what is that saying again???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts