Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my '79 has a couple little spots in the door jams and fenders, not holes YET but little bubbles. I've seen how long it takes rust to take over in this ocean side town I live in. It's scary, both my pathfinder and f150 have holes in the fenders already. What I'm wondering is if there is any spray on, or whatever stuff you can put on the bubbly spots to stop the rust from given 'er? I'm not into replacing the metal yet, I just want to stop it for now.

My truck, my Pug's ass and my ugly mug. It's too nice to get rusty :rockon

·
Registered
1989 Bronco
540 Posts
they have stuff at auto part stores that converts rust into black primer lemme see if i can look it up for you

·
Registered
1989 Bronco
540 Posts
ok well i couldn't find it but just go to advance or something and ask for it instructions are on the bottle.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I've never heard of a way to stop rust without exposing it. With the paint he's talking about you should still at least expose the rust and wire brush/grind it down til it is at least solid. I really doubt painting over the bubbles is going to stop it. You might have had this in mind, just figured I'd say something just in case.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco
540 Posts
ya i must have misread you have to scratch the surface of the rust first and its not paint more of a smelly jelly

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
If you want easy, scrape the bubbles and scale off the rust and wash, then smear a blob of axle grease over the area. This will displace moisture and keep out the elements. Or you could use POR15 or Rust Bullet, then paint.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Just sell me the bronco I'll bring it to CO. I'll take care of what little rust you have. We don't get the rust problem here.
Um? yeah, i live in colorado and I definately have alot of rust. my fenders and tailgate and door jams and rear quarters have rust HOLES in them. Anyway, dupli-color has some rust stuff that turns the rust into black primer.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/rustfix.html :thumbup

Ok maybe it used to live in loveland and sat outside in the snow for years.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Most of the stuff dosent work & it has to be put ON the rust not just over the paint...The bubble is just an iceburg effect...Its worse under the paint...

The best cheap easy way is to just wire wheel it,do the rust stop stuff, prime & paint..Maybe add a bit of bondo to smooth it out...Any good auto paint supply shop can match your paint & put it into a spray can for you...

All said & done you could do it in 1 day & be driving it that night...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts