Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 89 full size w/ quad shock. I noticed my front passenger side shock/spring tower is rusted out real bad , the spring has an arch to it and the pass side sits about 2"lower. Are these known for Rusting out ?? I havent even 4 wheeled the thing in 2 years...........

Has Anybody replaced a spring / shock tower? How much work am I lookin at?

Thanks

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
if its made of metal then it can rust.

but it sounds like with that much rust, you may be looking at other problems. what did you do, park the thing in a fish tank or something?

·
Registered
315 Posts
hey, i have an 89 also with the quad shocks for the tow package,

andy: mine are rusting and the rest of the truck is pretty solid

beebe: im looking into: buying new towers from Ford, finding decent ones at a junkyard, or making my own out of 1/4 inch steel :D

havnt decided because mine arnt that bad, im going to replace them when i install my lift, i just need like a weekend where im not working!!!

·
Registered
748 Posts
davids78bronco said:
lol, I think he was thinking of steel, not metal in particular ;)
I know just giving the King a hard time....:goodfinge

:beer to Andy and all his ladies....

·
Registered
748 Posts
King Andy351 said:
worked on a boat for a summer. yes it can, just takes a lot of salt water

Curious to know what part of the boat we are talking about, or was it the hardware that was used to put things together?

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Max said:
Curious to know what part of the boat we are talking about, or was it the hardware that was used to put things together?
the boat had lots of paint on it. mostly small stuff like pocket knifes and the like.

thats the boat i worked on

·
Registered
266 Posts
Beebe said:
Ive got a 89 full size w/ quad shock. I noticed my front passenger side shock/spring tower is rusted out real bad , the spring has an arch to it and the pass side sits about 2"lower. Are these known for Rusting out ?? I havent even 4 wheeled the thing in 2 years...........

Has Anybody replaced a spring / shock tower? How much work am I lookin at?

Thanks
So, were you asking about metal, boats, or parking in fish tanks?

:wtf

Get one from a yard.
To replace it, jack up the truck, remove the coil and shock, drill out/grind off the rivets, use some gd #8 bolts to fasten the replacement one in. 1/2"-9/16" dia.
The PIA part is removing the OEM rivets. Get some good bits, oil them as you go. A grinder is priceless for this though.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Re: Re: Rusted out Shock/Spring Tower.........WTF

To replace it, jack up the truck, remove the coil and shock, drill out/grind off the rivets, use some gd #8 bolts to fasten the replacement one in. 1/2"-9/16" dia.
The PIA part is removing the OEM rivets. Get some good bits, oil them as you go. A grinder is priceless for this though. [/B]
nah, a couple drill bits and an air chisel knock them off in minutes

·
Registered
263 Posts
Max said:
Except for stainless steel, aluminum, and a whole bunch of other alloys.
Aluminum can rust also; it's just not orange colored. That would be iron oxide. Aluminum oxide (rust) is white. I work on aircraft and they "rust" too.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
I thought rust was a fungus. That would be different than oxidation if it is, but i'm no chemist or biologist or whatever. By the way, this is a real boat!

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Hahahaha!

I just did a search. Rust is a ferric oxide. I guess it's just another form of oxidation.

·
Registered
529 Posts
jerry 1 a b said:
I thought rust was a fungus. That would be different than oxidation if it is, but i'm no chemist or biologist or whatever. By the way, this is a real boat!

That's not a boat :twak ask anybody in the Navy....it's a ship! Boats are for fishing :thumbup

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Rusted out Shock/Spring Tower.........WTF

plug ugly said:
nah, a couple drill bits and an air chisel knock them off in minutes
yeah well my torch makes it even easier but I was thinking that since not everybody has a one or a air compressor, most people can get a drill or grinder and get 'em off.

y'ol smart ass :)

-m

1 - 19 of 19 Posts