Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 89 full size w/ quad shock. I noticed my front passenger side shock/spring tower is rusted out real bad , the spring has an arch to it and the pass side sits about 2"lower. Are these known for Rusting out ?? I havent even 4 wheeled the thing in 2 years...........

Has Anybody replaced a spring / shock tower? How much work am I lookin at?

Thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
hey, i have an 89 also with the quad shocks for the tow package,

andy: mine are rusting and the rest of the truck is pretty solid

beebe: im looking into: buying new towers from Ford, finding decent ones at a junkyard, or making my own out of 1/4 inch steel :D

havnt decided because mine arnt that bad, im going to replace them when i install my lift, i just need like a weekend where im not working!!!

·
Registered
‘95 xl, 5.8l, ZF S5-47, BW1356, SAS, D44(8lug), Sterling 10.25 (Detroit)
269 Posts
Beebe said:
Ive got a 89 full size w/ quad shock. I noticed my front passenger side shock/spring tower is rusted out real bad , the spring has an arch to it and the pass side sits about 2"lower. Are these known for Rusting out ?? I havent even 4 wheeled the thing in 2 years...........

Has Anybody replaced a spring / shock tower? How much work am I lookin at?

Thanks
So, were you asking about metal, boats, or parking in fish tanks?

:wtf

Get one from a yard.
To replace it, jack up the truck, remove the coil and shock, drill out/grind off the rivets, use some gd #8 bolts to fasten the replacement one in. 1/2"-9/16" dia.
The PIA part is removing the OEM rivets. Get some good bits, oil them as you go. A grinder is priceless for this though.

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
Re: Re: Rusted out Shock/Spring Tower.........WTF

To replace it, jack up the truck, remove the coil and shock, drill out/grind off the rivets, use some gd #8 bolts to fasten the replacement one in. 1/2"-9/16" dia.
The PIA part is removing the OEM rivets. Get some good bits, oil them as you go. A grinder is priceless for this though. [/B]
nah, a couple drill bits and an air chisel knock them off in minutes

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
I thought rust was a fungus. That would be different than oxidation if it is, but i'm no chemist or biologist or whatever. By the way, this is a real boat!

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Hahahaha!

I just did a search. Rust is a ferric oxide. I guess it's just another form of oxidation.

·
Registered
529 Posts
jerry 1 a b said:
I thought rust was a fungus. That would be different than oxidation if it is, but i'm no chemist or biologist or whatever. By the way, this is a real boat!

That's not a boat :twak ask anybody in the Navy....it's a ship! Boats are for fishing :thumbup

·
Registered
‘95 xl, 5.8l, ZF S5-47, BW1356, SAS, D44(8lug), Sterling 10.25 (Detroit)
269 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Rusted out Shock/Spring Tower.........WTF

plug ugly said:
nah, a couple drill bits and an air chisel knock them off in minutes
yeah well my torch makes it even easier but I was thinking that since not everybody has a one or a air compressor, most people can get a drill or grinder and get 'em off.

y'ol smart ass :)

-m

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.