Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm sort of new to the forum. I spent about a month reading up on what to look for before i pulled the trigger, and i am now the proud owner of an 88 FSB with a strong running (other than the EGR valve) 351, C6 tranny, and 355 gears. She needs a lot of rust remediation, but it's not really a big deal. I wanted to learn body work, so Ive got a reason. The guy i got it from seemed scared of the work (blinking check engine light; pulled codes and got 33 and 31), and I guess didn't understand how simple some of this was. All that and the price of gas, and I drove her home for $300! I know I'm gonna get way more into it than I paid, but I'm geeked to get started.

The one thing I'm not sure what direction to head in (and this is a long term project) is what to do about a rear tire carrier. I've seen some people swear the stock holder is fine, but my (and every bronc I've looked at over the last two years) tailgate is shreaded from that thing, and really dont wanna replace the gate every couple years. I see what a b*%$h it's gonna be to transfer all the guts to a new shell, so any suggestions are welcome.

Let the good times roll:beer:rockon:beer:drinkbud:rockon:beer:drinkbud:beer:drinkbud:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
There is a man on your Tree...

Nice lookin Rig!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Welcome.be prepared to spend alot of time here. I have the addiction as well.These guys here have helped me out everytime I've needed something from simple to extreme during my rebuild.As far as the tire carrier goes mine is mounted inside behind the rear seat.But with this type of carrier your limited on the size spare you can put on it because the larger tire will hit the seat.So I keep a smaller spare that will fit ,since Its just going to be used for an emergency and takes up less space.

Check it out!:rockon
http://www.supermotors.net/users/78brncoxlt

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Welcome to FSB ~ :thumbup
I took my tire carrier off because it was destroying the bottom of the tailgate due the rust so very common in these vehicles and it dimpled the right rear quater panel when you swing it too wide, I hated the rattling noise it made when driving.
I took out my rear seat and with the floor seat bracket I took a turnbuckle eyelit screw and opened it enough to fit the bracket and it bolted nicely in the rim lugnut hole where it sits with a Brocno tire cover in the middle of the cargo bay without shifting about but easy to get at.
Bronco's that didn't come with the outside carrier had an inside mount on the rear passenger side welded to the wheel hump behind the interior paneling where the tire was bolted, I don't like the wheel sticking up but it gave more room in the cargo bay...............

There's a ton of information/pictures on just about any upgrade subject you want to learn regarding these vehicle, learn to use the "search" tool it's your best friend now ~ lol lol

Good Luck ~ :beer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts