Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey , I have leaking exhaust doughnut gaskets . I'd love to replace them but the studs are so rusty that I'm afraid to try to loosen the nuts . Is there a way to replace the studs w/o removing the manifold ? Thanks for any ideas .

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
try heating them red hot. the nuts might come off. even then that doesn't mean you won't have to replace the studs. there may be no threads left to put a nut onto. if this is indeed the case, i'd just burn the studs out and just nut, bolt, lockwasher it.

but you'd need an oxy-acetylene torche for that. ;)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would get the PB Blaster and start blasting and heating. The heat will help get the PB to penetrate and the heating and cooling cycles will help start breaking the rust bond (get it hotter than what it would see during a drive cycle). You may have to do this several times over a few days.

Biederboat

·
Registered
21 Posts
pb blaster let it sit for a couple hours and hit it with a impact.

·
Registered
9,791 Posts
pb blaster for a few days, red hot the nut, impact it off. or would that be bad?

·
Premium Member
89 Bronco XLT - 302 EFI - AOD
208 Posts
Which side? I dont know how you would get an impact on the passenger side. Not sure about the driver side though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here is my worst fear ...1 break stud on manifold...2 break manifold to head bolt ... 3 have to remove all the stuff on top of the motor , probably breaking some of it as its 20 yrs old and brittle ... 4 then finally have to lift that massive 460 head out . Kenny 714 may be on to something !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts