Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey y'all,

I've been refreshing the front end on my '96 xlt. Today I started on the passenger side radius arm bushings. I noticed my radius arm mount has a lot of rust and chipped paint. Based on the photo below is this something I can save (sand, rust reformer, paint), or should I just order a new one?

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Most of it looks like rust under the pant, chip it all off and its pretty much a judgement call in wether or not to reuse it, if you get all that scale off and thats spot seems as thick as the rest of the bracket then id clean it off paint it and re use it. If you get the scale off and its noticeably thinner in that area i would go with the new ones. However the factory ford ones are probably better steel than the chineseium the dorman brackets are made out of

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,470 Posts
You really want to focus on the back side of the hole. There's a lip that needs to be intact.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I just bought both side brackets from Rock auto for like 35$ a piece. I needed the bolt on brackets to complete the 2.5 inch rough country leveling kit. If you ever plan on lifting her the rivets need to go anyway.

I think we are all well beyond just fixing things only when they finally break. These Broncos are legacy vehicles and treated with love and affection. The 35$ for nice shinny new mounts seems to be a good investment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input everyone! I ended up ordering a new bracket from Rock Auto.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts